Is Smbc Thick Enough For Icing Dam?

Decorating By JodieF Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm by FromScratch

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #1 of 8

I have been practicing making SMBC for a huge cake I'm doing for next week. It's an 18" square, 16, 12, 9 and 6" rounds, with a double layer 11x15 inch side cake. I love the mouth feel of SMBC, although I am adding an extra 1/2 cup of sugar because I like a little more sweetness.

Now, my question: the white cakes are going to be filled with raspberry or lemon curd and SMBC, the chocolate cakes with fudge and peanut butter mousse. Will the SMBC be strong enough to use as a dam for the fillings? Should I add some powdered sugar to some and use for the icing dams? SMBC is so lovely and light. I'm just unsure it's going to hold back the fillings.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Jodie

7 replies
MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 8

Yes, I do it all the time. SMBC is the only icing I use. I put the dam in at least 1/4". My cakes never bulge.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #3 of 8

Ditto.. it's all I use and I put things like raspberry puree and mousse in my cakes all the time with never a buldge. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #4 of 8

Same here... always use either swiss or italian MBC with all manner of fillings (I rarely fill a cake with buttercream).

JodieF Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #5 of 8

thanks guys......all you hear is that the icing dam needs to be really stiff......SMBC is lovely, but it's sure not stiff!

I'm nervous about this cake. It's by far the biggest one I've ever taken on. icon_cry.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #6 of 8

Can you make mortar with SMBC? I mean 1 part SMBC and 1 part cake mixed so it's stronger?

Also, I will be making a small cake this tues. to take on an 8hr trip on Wed for my B-D on Thursday. Will that work? I dont want to have a store bought cake when I get there! So I wanted to make mortar for the dam?

hope this makes sense. sorry for high jacking your questions.

Good Luck.

JodieF Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 8

I'm sure you could put a mortar dam if that would make you feel better. You would probably want to make sure the cake was really cold too, and maybe put a dowel down the middle.

Jodie

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 8

You really don't need to go that far. Just don't make your filling layer really thick. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%