Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies...is It Possible?

Baking By Momma2three Updated 5 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm by emccle

Momma2three Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momma2three Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all. I am a newbie and I have a question. My twin's birthday party is next saturday and my daughter does not want a cake...she wants chocolate chip flamingo cookies! I have a flaming cookie cutter, but I need to know if it is possible to make cut out cookies with chocolate chip cookie dough? Also, what is the best frosting to use on a decorated cookie? Royal icing?

Thanks for anyone who can help!

12 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 13

Karen has a great CC rolled cookie recipe on her site plus lots of other information.

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html

The icing is a matter of preference. I like a glaze. Many folks have great success with the Antonia74 royal icing. Karen has a buttercream recipe that some have used and said nice things about it.

The two most popular cookie icing recipes on Cake Central.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

HTH!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 13

What about shortbread cookies with mini-chocolate chips?

Or convincing her to have chocolate cookies?

Or making sugar cookies and having some sort of chocolate icing? I know, not a traditional flamingo.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 13

I would second Honeydukes suggestion for karenscookies.net recipe. It works great; very little, if any, spreading and a nice taste. thumbs_up.gif

A nice rolled icing to use for these cookies is a chocolate clay (recipe on this site).

Looking forward to seeing your flamingo photos!

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 13

Anyone have a recipe for a peanut butter cut-out cookie? TIA

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 13

Honeyduckes, I love ya, I have been looking for new recipes Thanks for the tip on Karenscookies. and the cookie ideas are great.
Momma2three thanks for asking the question. Don't you just love this site all the cool info and feedback. I know I will be trying the chocolate chip one thanks again everyone Le'Ann

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 13

I wish I would have known about this cut-out cc recipe a month ago! I had an order for 150 heart-shaped cc cookies for a wedding. I ended up making HUGE cookies and using a heart cookie cutter to cut out the middles. It sounds weird, but they turned out really cute. However, the cut out recipe would have saved me a lot of time and cookie scraps!
Thanks for the info!

Momma2three Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to try the cc rolled cookie recipe from "Karen." I think it will work great. I am going to decorate them with the Antonia74 royal icing. If they turn out, I will post pictures!
Thanks!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 13

I use karen's chocolate chip cookies. There are not soft like nestle, but they are good. I made mine thick. I roll to about 1/2 thick and then back just lightly brown. I also cover with candy melts on these instead of royal icing. I feel it just give better flavor, but personal preference.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 13

Here's the link to the Peanut Butter Rolled Cookies
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6957-Peanut-butter-cutout-cookie.html

mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mc Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 13

Momma2three, did you notice that Karen has a cut out chocolate cookie recipe? Either way, good luck with the cookies. I think your dauther knows best, because I love to make cakes for my boys, but the little guests, in general, don't eat a lot of cake and some won't even try it, but a cookie! I am sure they will all like that!!

Momma2three Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 13

Well, I am actually doing cookies, a cake and cupcakes! Crazy, I know. But, the party is for my boy/girl twins who are now 7. She wants flamingos and he wants baseball, so we are having a flamingos playing baseball party. I am making a cupcake "cake" as a base (they will be frosted in green.) Then, I am making a baseball cake, using the round ball pan, to place on top of the base. There will be a six-inch feathered flamingo standing on top of the baseball and we will ALSO have the flamingo cookies. Good grief!! Any advice on doing all of this would be appreciated!

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #13 of 13

thanks, debster. those sound delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%