Help With Fondant Animals....please!!!

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm by have_your_cake

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, this is my first attempt to make jungle animals (or anything) from fondant/gumpaste and have been trying to read all I can for help. I have a few questions though after trying . I mixed my fondant and gumpaste 1/2 & 1/2. When needing it colored I added Wilton coloring with a toothpick. Ques. #1..how do you get the color to mix in consistently and not look marbled and also get it dark enough? Ques. #2...Do I need some type of glue to connect body parts and get them to stay? Last ques. #3...How do I get all the creases and ridges to smooth out?

Thanks for any replies and suggestions. I appreciate any advice.

6 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 7

Hope this helps -

answer #1 - mix, mix, mix, knead, knead, knead - make your husband do it! It takes FOREVER and a lot of color to get it dark enough and completely mixed in.

Answer #2 - I use vodka, gin, or rum - someone else said grain alcohol dries faster. You can also make gum glue (instructions are here somewhere).

Answer #3 - you just have to keep rolling etc. I'm not sure if there is a better way..... maybe someone else acn weigh in on this...

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much. Guess I am just nervous and trying to make them too quick. This is why I started a week early to make the figures. Will they be ok next weekend and do I need to refrigerate?

Again thanks for your reply.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 7

As long as no one is going to eat them (I mean who does really?!?!?) They will be fine until next week - it will give them good time to really dry and "set"

have you been to http://extra-icing.blogspot.com/ she is just AMAZING with modeling - check it out, there are a lot of free tutorials that should help too.

make sure you post pics!! I wanna see your finished work.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 7

I find that if the cracks do not roll out, I can rub a little shortening onto my hands/fingers and then roll and form my critters. The mix of gumpaste and fondant tend to crack if you over handle it or when it gets to dry.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 7

Usually criso helps with the cracks, roll until smooth.
Some people use toothpicks to connect the parts and for support. Others use spaguetti. I like a glue with some consistency so I use either gumpaste dissolved in water or tylose with water.
Good luck
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 7

if you use the precolored fondant and mix it into the white to get your desired color, it combines much faster than mixing in gel color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%