Airbrush In Black?

Decorating By Scrumptious Creations Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 9:32pm by DianeLM

Scrumptious Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrumptious Creations Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

HI I'm making an upright penguin cake. I would like to airbrush the black areas (new airbrush, not used yet). I'm afraid fondant will slid off sine he is standing up. Do I need to use a certain kind of buttercream to acheive a good black coverage? Any help tips you can pass along? Will everyone have black teeth and tongues after they eat it? Thanks for your help. [email protected] icon_rolleyes.gif

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 7

I would play around with your airbrush a bit before you attempt the penguin so that you can get the feel of the nozzle and the spray.You probably will have to spray in light coats and then let it dry and redo.Try not to get too close to the fondant or it will spray a large glossy puddle...Also...use a piece of thin cardboard or card stock to help block off the areas you don't want black as the over spray will show.Should look great!!!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 7

Wear a mask! Especially because you wont be holding it straight up like your supposed to the color is going to go everywhere including up your nose. I am talking form experience! I never laughed so much in the bathroom. Not to mention the next day I had an appointment with the ENT doctor.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah well Paula...I went to the school on day to pick up my kids and forgot I had been airbrushing...They were all laughing at my blue nostrils...How embarassing!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

....I'm afraid fondant will slid off sine he is standing up....
Nope, Won't happenicon_smile.gif

....Will everyone have black teeth and tongues after they eat it?....
Yep, prolly will icon_smile.gif But much less w/airbrushing than if you made black icing! icon_smile.gif
Definately follow kiddiecakes suggestions for airbrushing.

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 7

If you use chocolate fondant you won't have to use as much black.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 7

Tint your bc grey (or use chocolate, as suggested) so you won't have to use as much spray. Also, if your bc develops any hairline cracks or other imperfections, they won't be stark white against your black background.

Definitely apply in several coats. Color will darken upon standing.

This bc cake was airbrushed black:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%