Colouring Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 3 Aug 2008 , 3:57am by staceyboots

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 7

Hi CC

I found a recipe for a Red Velvet Cake online that i would like to try but the recipe calls for 2 ounces of red food colour!! Are they referring to the liquid colour?

I am also guessing that amount of red colour will leave a nasty taste in your mouth and I would prefer to use Wilton's No-Taste Red instead. Could someone please tell me how much of the Wilton colour I should use?

TIA

6 replies
staceyboots Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 7

oh...i forgot...i have another question for those who have made Red Velvet Cake before.

in your recipe, do you use butter or shortening? is it true that using shortening will make the cake moister?

Thanks again!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 7

I have never heard that shortening will make a cake moister. I have heard that using about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of mayonise will. Butter will give it a better taste.
Yes when the recipe calls for 2 oz of red food coloring it is refering to the (grocery store bottles) of liquid coloring.
BUT>>>>>>>>> please don't use that much. It is way more than needed. One bottle is more than enough. Also, I've just used some of my paste color in the recipe. If you have airbrush colors you can use that. Just a healthy squeeze of the bottle is plentyicon_smile.gif

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

I make dozens of red velvet cakes and I do use 1/4 cup per recipe. The liquid food coloring does not have the taste problem that the paste has. I have a wonderful recipe that is very moist and have been told by many it is the best they have ever tasted. It gets more moist as it sets with the cream cheese icing. I like mine a deep red and the combination of the red coloring and cocoa makes it a deep rich red.
Hope this helps,
SandyS

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 7

I just made a red velvet yesterday and used the 2 ounces that the recipe called for. It did not affect the taste at all. However, I would probably use less if I could get away with it- food coloring is expensive!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 7

SandyS Are you using a recipe from here? I need to make one but the zillion choices in recipes are a little confusing. They ALL say they are the best... icon_confused.gif

staceyboots Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:57am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips!

I think I go will go with the liquid colour, probably McCormick's....I will also stick with the butter as opposed to the shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%