Look What I Found-Wilton Fondant Petition

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm by Carolynlovescake

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:06am
post #31 of 56

Wow...never meant to start another debate here...just thought it was interesting because so many people complain about it.

Anyhow, it's true that some people don't order anything online. I don't...because last year someone stole my husband's identity (not from an online purchase, it was when we paid our rent) and we can't have a bank account or credit cards anymore. All we use now is cash.

I make my own fondant because it's cheaper than anything else...my "beef" with Wilton fondant is that it gives all fondant a bad reputation.

Monna7122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monna7122 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #32 of 56

I realize there are other ways to get fondant other than the local grocery store. My husband works for Brookshires as an Asst Mangr and he said that it really isn't as simple as just saying "Hey, Can you start carrying this product." It's a matter of getting the corp. people to listen, which isnt very easy. And for some of us, it is not as easy as driving that hour away and picking up a tub of something so costly to use very little of at a time. I do not take a risk of purchasing online and very seldom over the phone so I deal with the Wilton when completely necessary. icon_smile.gif

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Wow...never meant to start another debate here...just thought it was interesting because so many people complain about it.

Theres nothing wrong with a nice debate every now and then. icon_biggrin.gif
Hopefully no one took anything I said the wrong way.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #34 of 56

Even if I liked Wilton (which I don't) The only place I can get it is at Michaels or Joanne Fabric Weird huh? The good thing is I can use my 40% off coupon for it. I was surprised to hear about Wilton and Walmart teaming up. Can you get Wilton fondant at Wallys? Anyway, we all need to realize we are in the good ole USA and so far we have freedom of speech. I don't care if people disagree with my thinking, why can't we just all get along whether we agree or not? icon_biggrin.gif I really don't get angry if someone doesn't agree with me , I hope you all don't get offended cause I don't like Wiltons fondant. I just think it's nasty tasting can't help it. I like everyone here at CC, such a good group of people!!!!!! Even those that like Wilton................... icon_lol.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:05am
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monna7122

And for some of us, it is not as easy as driving that hour away and picking up a tub of something so costly to use very little of at a time.

I have a full-time job, a part-time job, and my cookie business. It's like anything else in life...if it's that important to you, you find the time. If you are happy using Wilton, well then be happy using Wilton.

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:17am
post #36 of 56

Okay, I have to put in my 2 cents worth here! I can't stand Wilton fondant, either, and that's all I have in my area without a drive into the Houston area. I make my own MMF which people really like and it's so much cheaper than ordering on-line! I can make a batch of it in about 10 minutes and it costs me about $3. On slow days, I make several batches up and keep it for future use. It's not that big of a deal to me to spend 30 minutes every other week making it, but I just can't justify the cost of Wilton or ordering on-line and having to pay shipping. Call me cheap....I mean "thrifty!"

Just my opinion on ways of keeping my costs down.

debster Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #37 of 56

MichelleM77..................good grief how do you do all that? Full time job and part time and cookies? Your good!!!!! You must certainly be an organizer.

MichelleM77 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #38 of 56

I'm not that organized, just have to do what I have to do to pay the bills. Believe me, if I could give up one of the jobs I would! Oh, and I looooove coffee! icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #39 of 56

I've tried about three different fondants home made, people love the taste but I have an awful time working with it. I can't seem to get it the texture of Wilton, I do love their texture just not the taste. It's like I need lots more sugar than is called for. Why would that be? Any suggestions? I see some of you on here , your homemade fondant looks GREAT. I've tried Tobas , Michelle's and the MMF and the same thing . It's kinda of stringy and pulls down the cake bad.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:43am
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I've tried about three different fondants home made, people love the taste but I have an awful time working with it. I can't seem to get it the texture of wiltong, I do love their texture just not the taste. It's like I need lots more sugar than is called for. Why would that be? Any suggestions? I see some of you on here , your homemade fondant looks GREAT. I've tried Tobas , Michelle's and the MMF and the same thing . It's kinda of stringy and pulls down the cake bad.

There are different recipes for MMF. This is the one I use: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

The only thing that really varies in it is the amount of water...it says two to four tablespoons. When I had an air conditioner that worked really well (they remove humidity too) I had to add the four tablespoons. Now that I've moved, if I add four tablespoons it gets too soft.

I have really good luck with it...I can make bows and flowers and little ribbons, and it behaves well for all of it.

debster Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #41 of 56

Thanks Texasrose I'll try less water, how does this recipe do for full coverage of a cake? I don't mind making it but I just wish I could get the texture right. I like the looks of Jennifer Dontz and ordered her DVD and can't get the stuff here to make it. Makes me MAD!!!!!! I will get the victory over home made fondant sooner or later. I REFUSE to give up.

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #42 of 56

Wow. If you don't agree with a petition being signed- Ignore it. No need to hassle people over what they want to do, or argue with them if it will work or not.

MichelleM77 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #43 of 56

No hassling. Stating our opinion, just like they are, that you do have options.

I would either up my prices to cover the cost of ordering a good fondant online or I would not offer fondant if I couldn't get a product that I liked.

I buy SI from www.IntoTheOven.com and it comes out to $3 per pound including shipping. I think it might actually be cheaper than Wilton!

MeMo07 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

No hassling. Stating our opinion, just like they are, that you do have options.

I would either up my prices to cover the cost of ordering a good fondant online or I would not offer fondant if I couldn't get a product that I liked.

I buy SI from www.IntoTheOven.com and it comes out to $3 per pound including shipping. I think it might actually be cheaper than Wilton!

I bought some SI a few weeks ago....it's still sitting in the bucket...I'm too afraid to use it...LOL.

debster Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:39pm
post #45 of 56

Wow thanks for the heads up Michelle, I know where I'm going for SI.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #46 of 56

Petitions are only good if they're sent to the company. I wonder if the creator has/is sending it still?

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

I just dont get it. Yes the taste isnt that great! But would you make a petition for McDonalds because you dont like the taste of thier burgers?
If you dont like it then dont buy it! I am sure we all do this with one thing or another simply buy a differnt brand!

Wow...you're no fun! icon_razz.gif I was part of the original group that started that petition. We found it not only funny, but neccessary.

The difference between Wilton Fondant and McDonald's is that a lot of people like McDonalds. I have yet to hear anyone say that they like WF. Plus Wilton refuses to hear complaints about it and refuses to change it.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #48 of 56

My daughter loves the stuff - but I REALLLLLY question her taste sometimes icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #49 of 56

Maybe if we were specific about what about the Wilton fondant offends us....could it use more vanilla? Does it have a chemical taste? Is it too much like dough? Too Sweet? Does it not make figures well? Is it too wet? Is it too chewy? Not sweet enough? Taste like Crisco? No taste at all? Is it too expensive for the ingredients used vs. the weight of the total product?

I am a Wilton instructor....and I know they are very concerned with their products and reputation. Can every company do everything perfectly....No....does Satin Ice make decorating tips like Wilton? Does Kitchen Aid make chocolate like Tobler Narcisse? Some companies make a few excellent things and then many things at a good price that everyone can have at any time, and if they want something better, then someone else can make it. Wilton fondant is great for modeling, accents, and details that a lot of people don't eat anyway. Obviously no one wants to pay a premium price for a decoration no one is going to eat anyway. Wilton actually increases our profit margin especially when used for molding, modeling, and accents not meant to be eaten. Fondant itself is not meant to be a "taste treat" or most cake decorators wouldn't spend so much time perfecting the buttercream underneath.

Check this article out about "Ace of Cakes" who....incidentally....only used Satin Ice....see what it got them......

http://www.citypaper.com/bob/story.asp?id=14369

They call fondant at best "tasteless"....

Trying to get WIlton to change a good thing for Wilton is like trying to get Duff to use buttercream only...it obviously works for them. Someone likes it, and better than that....someone is making money off of it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #50 of 56

at the michaels where i teach.... they can,t keep it on the shelves.... so i don,t know how any of us on here.. know how much fondant wilton sells or how much they don,t... i would say... they sell plenty.... so we all do have that option... make your own if you don,t like the taste of wilton... or any other fondant.... i tasted fondarific at ices convention... i didn,t like that either.... but you couldn,t get around the booth ... it was selling like hot cakes.... satin ice tastes very good... you couln,t get aroung their booth either....so we all like different things... that is how it is suppose to be... we all have our opinions and we have the right to express them...but this topic has been brought up so many times since i have been a member ... it is getting old

MeMo07 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 3:54am
post #51 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

at the michaels where i teach.... they can,t keep it on the shelves.... so i don,t know how any of us on here.. know how much fondant wilton sells or how much they don,t... i would say... they sell plenty.... so we all do have that option... make your own if you don,t like the taste of wilton... or any other fondant.... i tasted fondarific at ices convention... i didn,t like that either.... but you couldn,t get around the booth ... it was selling like hot cakes.... satin ice tastes very good... you couln,t get aroung their booth either....so we all like different things... that is how it is suppose to be... we all have our opinions and we have the right to express them...but this topic has been brought up so many times since i have been a member ... it is getting old

Well not all of us have been a member since you have. So excuse us for wanting to discuss it. Should we all stop talking about which box mix we like best since it's been discussed a lot too? Some of us like discussing things, not just reading about a discussion that happened a year ago.

Some of us are very new to this, and would like to feel like we can have a say in things, and would like to talk about our ideas and thoughts.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 4:57am
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

I just dont get it. Yes the taste isnt that great! But would you make a petition for McDonalds because you dont like the taste of thier burgers?
If you dont like it then dont buy it! I am sure we all do this with one thing or another simply buy a differnt brand!

Wow...you're no fun! icon_razz.gif I was part of the original group that started that petition. We found it not only funny, but neccessary.

The difference between Wilton Fondant and McDonald's is that a lot of people like McDonalds. I have yet to hear anyone say that they like WF. Plus Wilton refuses to hear complaints about it and refuses to change it.

That is true. It has great pliability but why would I wanna cover a wedding cake or any cake for that matter if the smell is offensive? Would that help me boost sales? I think not. Eeeeeeeeeeew..

So no, psurrette, I don't buy it because I don't like it but would if it tasted better. icon_biggrin.gif

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 5:07am
post #53 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyoung5

. . . They sell it everywhere, Wal-Mart even carries it. Many people have to special order the different brand. I know I would find it much easier to buy fondant locally, than have to special order it.

Someone must be buying it if they're selling it everywhere. I've never seen it on clearance anywhere. I'm lucky enough to have a choice to buy something else - and I do.

I just saw it to clearance tonight at wal-mart.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 7:26am
post #54 of 56

Don't buy it you don't like it... icon_confused.gif Wilton is not twisting anybody's arm.. but I know you are only speaking for yourselves...

SO , good luck with that !! icon_cool.gifusaribbon.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:37am
post #55 of 56

Wanted to say was: If you do not like it, then do not buy it!!! but don't expect them to stop making it, because some people buy it. It is not up to anybody here or anywhere whether they should or shouldn't make them or not.... unless you own Wiltons.. icon_cool.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I am a Wilton instructor....and I know they are very concerned with their products and reputation.

Me too, and I back this statement.

Wilton is great at many things for the home baker which is their target audience. Their fondant is great to teach and to work with but poor in taste.

Wilton has stated publicly at times that their base audience is home bakers and basics. At some point they have to say "this is not a basic Debi homebaker technique" and we won't be teaching it.

I view their fondant to be like training wheels on a bicycle. It gives you the basics, it teaches you how and what to do with it, and once you are ready to ride the big ride then you take the training wheels off and go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%