How Much To Charge

Decorating By lswren Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm by lswren

lswren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lswren Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone tell me about how much to charge for a wedding cake. It is a 14, 10, & 6 inch all torted and filled with raspberry filling. It has butter cream basket weave with vine decorations, and a variety of flowers (lilies to pansies) made of royal icing?

4 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:36am
post #2 of 5

It's 103 servings according to Earlene's chart. I charge $2.50 per serving with buttercream frosting.

The royal icing flowers would be extra if there's a lot of them. Depending on what your area charges, I'd go with no less than $260-275.

lswren Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 5

icon_smile.gif Thank you, I did not know the cost went by servings. They will be here any time to pick-up the cake, again thanks a lot!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 5

You made a wedding cake and didn't have a discussion with the person on how much it's going to cost? icon_confused.gif

I go by the wilton wedding chart to determine pricing, not necessarily to determine servings. I charge $3/serving. It's 128 servings per the wilton chart, which is $384.

My philosophy? they are welcome to cut it any size they want, but they are paying for the number of servings the cake is designed to serve. If they plan to cut it bigger than "standard serving" then they need to plan accordingly and buy more cake.

If you are offering them larger than standard servings, then your price needs to reflect a larger than standard price. (A med. french fry costs more than a small french fry for a reason.)

lswren Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 5

The cake is for friends of mine. They said that they wanted me to make their cake, and they didn't care how much it cost. I want to be fair. I usually will only do cakes for my family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%