Doing A How-To Article

Decorating By GeminiRJ Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 6:06pm by GeminiRJ

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 8

I've been asked to do an article for "Mailbox News" on how to decorate my Christmas basketweave cake w/cookies (it's in my photo gallery). I have a question that maybe someone can help me with. How detailed should I get with how to decorate the cookies? Should I include the recipes I use for the cookies and the cookie glaze? Or should I give general instructions for the cookies and focus primarily on the cake? I have to do this in no more than 12 steps. Any suggestions?

7 replies
valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 8

First of all-- LOVE your gallery--you are very creative! thumbs_up.gif

I would focus on the cake decorating with a simple " Bake and decorate the cookies of your choice, set aside"-- perhaps add how you got them on the stick if that is a special technique <pardon my ignorance, I am an amateur on cookies.> When I see your photo, I want to know how you decorated that cake with multiple icing colors and I assume it would take all 12 steps to share your methods.... I am now picturing that cake with star cookies and red, white and blue. Are you going to share you techniques or will we have to wait for the issue to come out? icon_smile.gif

Smiles,

Val

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 8

Goodness, I write instructions for a living. icon_smile.gif

I would focus on the main part of what you're giving instructions for. If you must include additional information, using a Note: field as part of a step is a great way to include it, without adding another step. icon_wink.gif

Also, how will this information be presented? In print, on the Internet? It will matter a bit in how you will want to format your information. For example, if it's for print, you'll want to try and create the instructions using minimal images. For the Internet, use as many images as you see fit, since money won't be spent publishing the instructions.

HTH!!!!

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Also, how will this information be presented? In print, on the Internet? It will matter a bit in how you will want to format your information. For example, if it's for print, you'll want to try and create the instructions using minimal images. For the Internet, use as many images as you see fit, since money won't be spent publishing the instructions.

HTH!!!!

This will be printed in a magazine, accompanied by photos. I suppose I could have one photo for each step. I'm hoping to do this over the weekend, and I will need to photograph the project as it goes along. I guess I'm stressing that I'll skip something and have to go back and recreate it.

valboss22...love the red, white and blue idea with stars! And I'm more than happy to give anyone instructions who wants them. Just PM me!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 8

I'm sure you'll do just fine. icon_smile.gif Just take it slowly. Actually, you might want to think about the step ahead of time...write what you know down and if you notice you're missing a step as you go along, you can add it then.

Also, if these photos are going to be in a magazine, make sure they are at least 300dpi (dots per inch). If you're using a digital camera, there are settings to manage the dots per inch. If you don't know, you might want to google it and see what comes up. I wish I could help you more with that. All I know is that for print publications, 300dpi is required because the photos will print crystal clear.

Good luck!!!!

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 8

I'm borrowing my sister's digital camera, as it is better than the one I use (which is a hand-me-down from a nephew). I will double check the settings before beginning, and I plan to take a bazillion pictures. Some of them will have to turn out. I've done a couple articles for the same magazine in the past, and to be honest, didn't like how they turned out. I just didn't take enough time to polish my writing...a mistake I don't plan on repeating!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 8

Congrats on the article GeminiRJ! I'm sure it will be great. Would love to have your cookie glaze recipe if you're sharing. I haven't had a chance to try the new cookie cutters yet as we are temporarly in an apartment until our house is done, but I can't wait to get settled and try them out.

GeminiRJ Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 8

For anyone interested: Cookie glaze recipe (similar to Toba's Glace and Wilton's Shiny Cookie Icing)

3 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 T. milk or water (I use skim milk)
3 T. corn syrup
15 drops brite white food color, optional (I use Americolor soft gel colors)

Mix first three ingredients until well blended. Add the brite white. Mix. Divide and color. The icing should be the consistency of white school glue. For a thicker icing, add more powdered sugar. For a thinner icing, add more corn syrup. (Note: the brite white seems to keep this icing from getting cloudy and splotchy when it gets cold. It also helps to make it a bit more opaque.) The icing will keep in the fridge for about two weeks. Cookies decorated with this icing do not have to be refrigerated. The high sugar content will keep the icing from spoiling (in case you were wondering, because of the milk).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%