Duplicating This Cake

Decorating By Hollysuann Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm by just_for_fun

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 11

I have a customer that would like this cake duplicated:

http://richardssassykitty.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/upload/SBJKLQoKCmcAAFt@qqQ1

Any suggestions on how to make the zipper and the side pockets? How about the coin purse?

10 replies
Hollysuann Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 11

Guess not..... icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 11

I've never made anything like that...but for the side pockets I think you'd measure and cut a sheet of fondant and leave it to dry on something with the right curve, then attach it once it was totally dry. The piping would be done with a clay exruder. I would do the zipper the same way...two tan strips from the clay extruder, a fatter gray one in the center, make indentations along the gray one and then paint it silver.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 11

For the side pockets, I would place a large piece of fondant on, "glue" it with water or royal icing and then place paper towels in between the fondant and the cake to form the pockets. I wouldn't "glue" it where the pockets are, just where it is supposed to meet the cake (did that make any sense?!)

For the zipper, I'd take a long strip of fondant, and make the marks freehand. I would probably color the fondant grey and paint it with silver luster.

For the coin purse, I would probably take a piece of rolled out fondant or gumpaste and fold it, pleating the top. Then I would put another piece on the top for the closure.

HTH!

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 11

I remember seeing somewhere, to make a zipper, just press a real zipper into the fondant strip and paint the appropriate places silver.

Hollysuann Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the tips! I love the idea about pressing a real zipper into the fondant and painting it silver! This is probably the most challenging cake that I have made and I am a little intimidated by it!

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 11

I'm not sure when you needed to do this cake by, but I was just browsing the new items at Global Sugar Art, and came across this mold for a zipper.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21944

Pressing a real one into fondant is a good idea, too...I just saw this mold and thought of this post. =)

Hollysuann Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 11

I did the cake last weekend, but that would have been a perfect mold. I will definitely keep that in mind if I need one again! Thanks for thinking of me!!

By the way here is how it turned out:

[img]Image[/img]

[img]Image[/img]

The back ripped when I was creating the seaming along the top, and at that point I couldn't fix it. Also, the seam along the top in the back didn't hold together and I couldn't get it to stick after the fondant had dried. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry it gave you such a difficult time, but it looks great! Very nice touches! I would have suggested maybe some fresh pieces of fondant to look like a seem cover/pieces of stitched 'leather' to cover the rips in the back. Still looks great!

Hollysuann Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 11

D'OH!! I didn't even think of doing that! I did however, clean up all the white frosting flecks on the back of the cell phone and other areas before I delivered the cake. This was for a friend's retirement party, so there was no charge for the cake. I feel like it wasn't too bad for my first fondant cake.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 11

First fondant cake!?! Wow! The leather looks authentic, and the whole cake is amazing!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%