Newbie Here- Cake Storage Q? (Fridge/counter/freeze?)

Decorating By valnor319 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm by terrylee

valnor319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valnor319 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi!

I am very new to this and decided to make my daughter a birthday cake this year. So far I've just baked some 9" rounds and a shorter 6" set to go on top. (my husband thinks he can handle making a castle cake. we'll see).

The party is tomorrow. The cakes are cooled and sitting, unstacked/separated on cake boards covered in foil.

Now what? Do I store them in the fridge or leave them out? If I leave them out do they need to be covered somehow? (I don't have a cake storage thing. What about foil or plastic wrap?) I made some buttercream icing and put it in tupperware in the fridge. I'm assuming I can't frost it/decorate it until tmrw?

Thanks for listening to a naive newbie's questions!!!!!
~Lindsay

2 replies
bsharp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsharp Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 3

Its not going to hurt anything leaving them out on the counter. When I do this I will put a crumb coat on them(very thin layer of icing). After you let the crumb coat sit for a while, hour or so, you can go ahead and frost it. You can also decorate it now that they are cooled. I have done this lots of times. Be sure and cover them with a large enough box or something to keep little "dusties" icon_smile.gif off of cake. Using a crumb coat is great. It helps to keep any little crumbs out of your icing when you go to decorate. I hope this helps, good luck with your cake. Sounds like you have a pretty neat hubby. Betty

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 3

If your cakes are cooled and you are planning to decorate in the AM.....just lightly cover with clean kitchen towels or even paper towels just to keep dust, ect off the cakes , no need to refrigerate. Covering a cake tightly with plastic wrap is OK for freezing but you will get come condensation and sticky edges

bsharp's comment of crumb coat is good too. Just depends when you want to complete your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%