Making Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By jessigurl182 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 6:28am by Sugarflowers

jessigurl182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessigurl182 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 4

I am still really new to cake decorating and I really want to learn how to do gum paste flowers. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kit I get or how I should go about starting out? Also how do you color the flowers?! They all look so beautiful and I really want to try them out! icon_redface.gif

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:03am
post #2 of 4

Wilton has a kit and a very basic instruction book. There are other very technical books. If you can afford it, face-to-face lessons really help.

Also, Nicholas Lodge and others have instruction videos that are excellent.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:07am
post #3 of 4

I've been doing the same thing. I started with the Wilton kit because it's pretty inexpensive and you can learn several flowers. I've also bought a Nicholas Lodge book. Look online at youtube also because there are lots of videos showing how to make flowers and I've learned there are about 100 ways to make gumpaste roses.

These are the cheap ways to get started. I hope to get to take a class with some of the experts at some point when the schedule and budget allow. In the meantime, I'll just practice on my own.

Good Luck!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 6:28am
post #4 of 4

There are a couple of tools that you will use a lot with gumpaste. The ball tool is used most often and then there is the veining too (it presses lines into the gumpaste). You will also need a softening pad to thin the edges. A cheap and really good alternative to the cel pads are the fun foam door hangers.

If you can find books by Leslie Herbert, Nicholas Lodge, and Alan Dunn then you will be able to learn a lot from them. There are some great DVDs available, even from me. icon_smile.gif

Good luck. Be sure to post some pictures of your work.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%