Do You Think Ive Quoted Too Much?

Decorating By SOULLA13 Updated 1 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm by MikeRowesHunny

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 11

I had my first couple come for a cake tasting the other night and i thought it went reasonably well. I called the couple the next day to give the price of the cake and they said they will let me know. Am i reading too much into it or maybe i have overcharged them. Personally i dont think i have but let me run it past you guys.

The cake will be 3 tiers 10' 8 and 6 inch first 2 white sponge with a choc buttercream filling and the top tier carrot cake with a vanilla buttercream filling. All covered with fondant and choc fondant spots all over also with pink fondant bows (i think about 5 in total and maybe one bigger one on the top). I quoted them £180 is that too much, sorry i dont know it in dollars.????

10 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 11

That's about $356 US, more or less... I don't think you overcharged at all. Of course i don't know what the going rates are in your area, but I think they are getting a great deal!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 11

It all depends on your local market.

Just wait it out and let them contact you. They are probably going to shop around. If you haven't heard from them in two weeks, you could send them an email letting them know that without the signed contract and deposit, you are releasing the date. Then if they don't contact you, you know they booked their cake elsewhere.

Waiting is the hardest part, especially when you're new to doing consults! icon_smile.gif

SOULLA13 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 11

I am in North London

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 11

Do not stress or worry if they don't immediately respond with and enthusiastic "I'll take it!" If they do, you quoted too low.

Couples take their time to research and comparison shop, which is a good thing.

In 2008, my "average days to book" between sampling appt and booking is 10.4 days. In 2007, it was 27.5 days.

Give them time to comparison shop, compare the quotes, and make their decision.

You said you called them. Do you do anything in writing, perhaps adding a "This quote valid for 30 days" type of thing?

SOULLA13 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 11

no ive never done anyting like that, it was my first consultation for a wedding cake ever, the thing is i know the couple too, so i dont know weather they were expecting it alot cheaper.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #7 of 11

I would have charged $400 ($5.00 per serving for fondant) and possibly added in extra for the bows--$10-$25.00 EACH.

If they don't bite...just relax, another couple will be around.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #8 of 11

icon_lol.gif
When I read the title of this thread I thought you were talking about quoting from someone elses post too much!
icon_lol.gif

Jibbies

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 10:42am
post #9 of 11

I live in a similar economy to you, and I would have charged 432 euros for that cake (not including delivery) - that's about £340. Considering you are in London too (one of the priciest places on the planet!), your price is a steal and I doubt they will do any better elsewhere! Most London cake shops (and I look at many of their websites!) would be charging at least £350 for a similar cake! Take a look at some of these:

http://www.thecakestore.co.uk/acatalog/Iced_Wedding_Cakes.html

http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/designer-wedding-cake.html

SOULLA13 Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 11

OMG!!!!!!!!! THATS THE ACTUAL CAKE SHE WANTS ME TO COPY!!!! All she sent me was a picture of the cake, i didnt know where she got it from, its the one on the 2nd link you sent bonjovibabe. Thank you so much for finding this picture for me!!!! now i know i have given them a bargain price coz it says there its over £1000 for this cake i have quoted them only £180!!!!!!!!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULLA13

OMG!!!!!!!!! THATS THE ACTUAL CAKE SHE WANTS ME TO COPY!!!! All she sent me was a picture of the cake, i didnt know where she got it from, its the one on the 2nd link you sent bonjovibabe. Thank you so much for finding this picture for me!!!! now i know i have given them a bargain price coz it says there its over £1000 for this cake i have quoted them only £180!!!!!!!!!

Well, weird as this may sound, I think we may have found the problem! How often do we say on here that you get what you pay for?! This couple may be thinking "Crikey, she charging just over a 6th of the original price, what on earth will we be getting for that?!" . Now, I know you will do a wonderful job, but they maybe concerned that for so little money you won't! I say it's time to re-evaluate your prices. If you value your work, then your customers will too, promise thumbs_up.gif. I think the price I gave you (£340), is still a good price for a 3 tier version of that cake (the original is 4 tier), from a non-famous (and Maisie Fantasie IS famous, hence £££££!), but good home baker!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%