Covered Boards

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm by mamacc

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 12

I know this has been asked before , but i need to know if you set the cake down on the decorated covered board or do you have the cake on a cake board, im wanting to do a Birthday cake where the cake is sitting on a pretty covered board im doing one for a 50 and i want to cover one board in black, see what i mean i thought of using a black plastic table cloth and cutting it to the size i need, Thanks for any info on this icon_rolleyes.gif

11 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 12

Any One?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 12

The cake itself would be on it's on own cake circle, which is then placed on the "presentation board"... at least this is how I do it.

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

The cake itself would be on it's on own cake circle, which is then placed on the "presentation board"... at least this is how I do it.

Thank you , i thought that was how it was done but needed to know for sure.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 12

Mine just goes straight on the board.

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Thanks i was worred about being food safe so i thought the circle board would be ok and just place that on the decorated board

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 12

I have a cake board under my cake that is between the actual covered board. The reason I do this is because I ice my cake on a board about an inch too big all the way around so when I smooth the sides with my spatula I have something to rest the end of the spatula against, after it is smoothed I trim the cardboard right up against the smooth sides of the cake with a very sharp pair of scissors. That way I get the perfect size cake board everytime. then that's what I set on the covered presentation board. So when its cut the knife will only cut the cardboard circle under the cake not the presentation board itelf.

Jibbies

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 12

you could use any type of paper to cover your board. It doesn't have to be a plastic tablecloth. then you can put contact paper over that to protect it from absorbing the grease from the buttercream.

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

you could use any type of paper to cover your board. It doesn't have to be a plastic tablecloth. then you can put contact paper over that to protect it from absorbing the grease from the buttercream.

The reason im thinking plastic, i covered a board in Black wraping paper looked really nice then i got the bright ideal to cover in contact paper it looked very dull underneath it so i tried to pull it off and it brought the color off with it, but i havent tried a paper one i got this plastic one for $1.00 so i thought that was the way to go.
Thanks for the info

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 12

If you set the cake on a circle and then on your display board, what keeps it from sliding around? Does it sit still?

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 12

I always put a little dolop of buttercream or royal icing in between the boards to keep them from sliding.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Mine just goes straight on the board.

Me too. A lot of time with carved cakes you really can't have a board underneath...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%