New To Wedding Cakes ..need Help

Decorating By Theresa50 Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm by indydebi

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 7

well i got my first call for a wedding cake ..i am so excited but at the same time nervous.. its to be a three tier round cake.. all buttercream and is to serve 80 to 100 ppl.. what size pans do i use for that many ppl? what would i tell her it cost? she is to call me today to set up app to come and talk with me about it.. she knows it my first one so she is ok with that.. she just wants to know what i will charge..and i don't know what to tell her...please help.. thank you all so much .. theresa

6 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 7

Going by Wilton's chart.... a 6-9-12 will yield 100 servings. This is if they serve the top tier. Maybe you can make them a small anniversary cake for next year (but they will need to contact you for it) or if they want to save it, a 6-8-10-12 will yield 130 total - 12 for the saved top tier resulting in a total of 118 servings.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Does that make sense?

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 7

I wonder about this too. I KNOW my idea of a serving size piece is going to be larger than Wilton's. What is the appropriate size to cut?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

I guarantee you Wilton's sizing is plenty big enough. I know a 1x2x4" slice of cake doesn't sound that big but that's 8" of cake. If it's a sheet cake you'd be cutting 2x2x2" slices. That's plenty. icon_lol.gif

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 7

thank you all so much.. but what would i charge for a cake like this.. she just wants buttercream icing and some buttercream flowers.. what would be a good price.. i want to be fair to her but i also want to make something on it.. she wants me to deliver and set up ..does that go into the price or it free? this is going to be my first time and i am so excited but so scared to.. when i set up am i to also provide anything other then the cake? i have absolutely no idea of what to do.. please all advice is so welcomed.. thank you all so much.. theresa

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 7

For pricing I suggest $3 per serving.
The industry standard for a 'serving' of wedding cake is 1"x2"x4". As was said, it is plenty of cake for the average personicon_smile.gif If I remember right a 9" round serves 32 and a 12"= 54.
Ask the bride if they want a bit extra cake. Then suggest a 14"; 10" and 6". This should give you about 110 servings.
Each of the above sizes does not include serving the top tier.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

I guarantee you Wilton's sizing is plenty big enough. I know a 1x2x4" slice of cake doesn't sound that big but that's 8" of cake. If it's a sheet cake you'd be cutting 2x2x2" slices. That's plenty. icon_lol.gif

Here's a pic of a 1x2x4 piece of cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

Here's how to cut the cake to achieve these sizes....feel free to share this link with your client: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%