Ok - This Made Me Laugh!!!

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 8:35pm by andysprite

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 39

http://www.celebrations.com/article/fabulous-3-d-birthday-party-cake

See folks - it's as simple as can be to create your own 3D whale cake just like Ron Ben-Isreal! No problem - all the info you need is in this thread!

BWAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

38 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 39

Well! icon_eek.gif If I knew it was THAT easy, I would have never bothered with all the dvds, books, and magazines. How come no one told ME? icon_lol.gif

That is blatantly ridiculous!

*Edited for poor grammar*

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 39

Okay, who is this Mindy Kobrin and where can I get some of whatever she's smoking? But seriously, those are the most tragic instructions I've ever read. Sounds like the cake would end up looking like two deformed boobs and a shoe box. icon_lol.gif

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 39

Wow... I'll bet that's exactly how he did it! Take a Wilton Easter Egg pan,a loaf pan, and a box mix or two - voila! 3-D whale!

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

Roll out fondant icing and knead in colors you'll need to create your whale, including blue for the body, red for the tongue, and white for the teeth, spout, and eyes

I bet that at least one person following those directions will knead all these colors together into one lump of fondant....

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 39

Wow! All you do is color the fonant and roll it out thin? I can do that! (Of course, my whale would look like a giant blue raisin bleeding from the mouth after tearing in a million times and tryin to smooth it out but who's really going to compare mine to his? This doesn't even take into consideration the millions of shades of blue we could be looking at here.) I can see someone trying this, stepping back to take a look at the finished product, and saying "WTH, why doesn't my whale look like his, with the luster dust finish and smooth, seemless fondant?" Why not start a beginner at the beginning before jumping into the 3D, fondant covered masterpieces?

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 39

OMGosh it doesn't even give a clue on how the dang tail is gonna get attached icon_surprised.gif

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 39

Well...now that I KNOW that, I bet I can do it in my sleep! Kudos to the designer for making it SO simple icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 39

Funny how the picture of her is bigger than the picture of the cake - I'm thinking nobody should write a blog on how to make a 3D cake unless they #1 did it and #2 posted the picture of how wonderful theirs came out compared to Ron Ben Israel! icon_rolleyes.gif People....I swear.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 39

There are only 2 steps in 3D cake making? You guys have been hiding that from me, shame on you. All this time I thought that fondant and 3D creations were way beyond my current skill set. Now I realize its as easy as 1..2...done, no three even needed. Also did you all notice that there appears to be airbrushing on this thing, how the heck am i supposed to do that?

This is truely stupid lol.

PS Who in the wide world has a 'color palette' for a kid party. Honestly have we gone nuts?

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 39

oh you'll get a whale out of that all right - a bloated, decomposing beached whale. What a conversation piece.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 39

OMG.......Must try....it's sounds soooooo easy. lol
There are so many visuals you can imagine.....

bwonderful's comment......one lump of fondant.

What about the tail.....Shape the tail a voila...it stands up???????

All I see is a large cake ball made by frustration!

Good laugh for the day....thanks for sharing

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #13 of 39

My evil mind has a theory that the cake designer gave the site dumbed down instructions to get them off his back. He must be sniggering as we speak..............................................

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 39

The instructions are so vague I don't know how anyone could follow them. I like the first sentence -
"Break out your favorite box cake mix, and prepare the pound cake recipe on the back. "

Do all cake mixes have a pound cake recipe on the back?

And it just goes downhill from there.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 39

ok someone, someone tell this crazy woman Mindy to get her head on straight!!!! Please!?!!

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 39

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You guys are hilarious!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #17 of 39

2 errors that stuck out to me:

1. She said to roll out the fondant as THINLY as possible. Umm, yeah sure, imagine the frustration of a beginner when the fondant tears as they are putting the fondant on the whale!!

2. She says how to make the tail, but doesn't mention how to get the tail to stay up in the air!! Do you just stick the loaf on the back with buttercream?

Is this lady serious? icon_confused.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 39

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea it was just so easy! icon_wink.gif

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #19 of 39

Ok, someone with spare time needs to follow these instructions 100% and then post a picture of the finished product. LOL

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Quote:

Do you just stick the loaf on the back with buttercream?

I've heard of the minky whale and the hump-backed whale but never the loaf tin tail icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh thanx guys - your comments are as funny as the cake wreck blog thingy.

You have made my day - my wee boy (4yrs) is currently sidling up to me saying are you crying? are you laughin? mummy are you ok!

I love CC

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:19pm
post #21 of 39

I prefer Fudgy the Whale.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #22 of 39

Also she says to just roll out your fondant and THEN kneaded in some color.....sounds Fun!

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #23 of 39

and all this time I've been afraid of fondant...if it's that easy I'd been using fondant sooner!

MosMom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassi_g16

Also she says to just roll out your fondant and THEN kneaded in some color.....sounds Fun!

Just finger paint the color on like a toddler.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosMom

I prefer Fudgy the Whale.

or Fugly the Whale...sheesh.

icon_rolleyes.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #26 of 39

Yes one of us needs to definitely try to make this! That would be so funny to see how they would come out. Or we could have a whale showdown. icon_smile.gif LOL
Thanks for making me laugh!
Jen...

MosMom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #27 of 39

A whale showdown BUT you have to follow her instructions EXACTLY. That would be hilarious.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosMom

A whale showdown BUT you have to follow her instructions EXACTLY. That would be hilarious.

Oh please do that and all that do make this whale by her instructions should mail a picture of it to her and be like "I followed your direction to a T why is my cake not looking like the one in the picture, what did I do wrong?" LMAO!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

MosMom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #29 of 39

double post.

sweetz79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetz79 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #30 of 39

I don't know which was funnier...those ridiculous instructions, or all of your responses! Thanks for the laughs today!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%