Large Clay Extruder Gun??? Where To Find?

Decorating By 2sdae Updated 11 Mar 2013 , 9:42pm by bonniekaye

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 26

Anyone know were I can buy the large extruder gun like duff has or like Jennifer Dontz has on her videos?

25 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 26

I don't know where you live but here in Texas the local cake decorating supply store have them on the shelf they run about $80.00 that next on my list to get I have a small clay gun from Hobby Lobby and use it quite often

Molly

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 26

Try the web site for The Compleat Sculptor. There is a large clay there and some smaller ones. Also Makin's Clay site.

I have the one from Sug............It's ok but I am going to get a bigger one.

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 26

I have not seen her video, what does it look like? I am interested! Obviously it is bigger than the 12 dollar one I purchased at Michael's! Hmmm, keep us posted I am interested for sure!

2sdae Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 26

The largest one on here is what I bought. It is the best price I could find and they have loads of disks and it is the same size but differently colored than duff's or Jennifer's.
http://www.clay-king.com/extruderlist.htm

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 26

http://www.sculpt.com/

They have it!...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

2sdae Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 26

Both places have them but the one I posted is 27 something right now and the other is 35. The only difference I see is the gold one is 1/2 longer....

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 26

Is the handle on the big gun hard to squeeze? I only have the little one from Hobby Lobby, which works great, but it has a twist arm instead of the handle to squeeze.

2sdae Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 26

I have to add: Edna I love your utube videos...you so inspire me. thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

I have to add: Edna I love your utube videos...you so inspire me. thumbs_up.gif

thanks!..That so sweet..that inspires me to keep adding more!..
Edna thumbs_up.gificon_rolleyes.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 26

What can the clay gun be used for besides strings?

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 26

I have been on a hunt for a small clay gun. I had my handi dandi coupons from Michaels. Went there twice within 2 months. They didn't have them on the shelves. Now they said that it's discontinued. Now where the heck do I look? I don't know of a Hobby Lobby here in Miami.
I don't need the big one. Just want something small to work with.
Anyone have an idea where I can find one?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 26

malishka

I have the small green one from Hobby Lobby full price is $24.00 but I had a 50% off coupon so it only cost me $12.00 I love it if you have a Hobby Lobby in your area check it out

Molly2

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 26

Malishka, just order it from online. It's called a Makin's Ultimate Extruder. Look - even KMart has it online: http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_1990000000152074P?vName=For%20the%20Home&cName=CraftSupplies&sName=General%20Crafts&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a

I ordered the medium Clay King gun yesterday. I hope it gets here fast! I can't wait to make some rope flowers. icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #15 of 26

I'm pretty sure that JoAnn's ETC stores have the small one too - just like Michaels.

I have the small one and I really LOVE it!! just remember to add crisco to your fondant before putting into the clay gun. too hard to get out otherwise!! learned the HARD way!

Cakepro Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

I'm pretty sure that JoAnn's ETC stores have the small one too - just like Michaels.

I have the small one and I really LOVE it!! just remember to add crisco to your fondant before putting into the clay gun. too hard to get out otherwise!! learned the HARD way!

Unfortunately, Michaels no longer carries the Makin's Ultimate extruder in any of their stores (I teach there and I tried special ordering a dozen of them a couple of months ago, but they were removed from the system and are no longer carried). None of my students have ever found them at Joann's.

The Makin's website only lists Hobby Lobby as a retailer now.

What I love so much about the twist-style of the Makin's Ultimate extruder is that I have never had to add shortening to fondant or gumpaste in order to use it. It is an amazing tool. If anyone is looking for a small extruder, get a Makin's Ultimate, not one of the plunger/syringe-type extruders! Those are super hard to use.

malishka Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:03pm
post #17 of 26

Cakepro, thanks so much for the info.
i'll visit my local K-mart store and see if they have it. Unfortunately, no coupons for K-mart.

janelwaters Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #18 of 26

OK - I just went online to hobby lobby and found that you can order the Makin's Ultimate at http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?dep=50&cat=46&subcat=0&IsOnSale=0&IsFeatured=0&IsNew=0&ItemId=61576 And its on sale!

malishka Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:36pm
post #19 of 26

I just checked out the web site.
it is on sale, however, it is currently out of stock.
they ask for your email address so they can inform you when they receive it.
I wonder if it will still be on sale.

janelwaters Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 26

I'm so sorry! icon_redface.gif I didn't even look at that part - I found it and was excited and then saw it was on sale and got really excited! I guess it doesn't help if they don't have it!! icon_cry.gif

Oh well - I tried! I would think the email would be like a "rain check" that when they get them back in it would still be on sale for you - but who knows what their policy is!

malishka Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #21 of 26

janelwaters,
thank you for trying. i really do appreciate it. Now at least I know what it looks like and that helps me to know what the heck it is that i'm looking for.

daisysn2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisysn2001 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:57am
post #22 of 26

I have the small one from sugar shack and don't really care for the size. I like to do ropes around my layers and it takes soooo long to get them the length I want. How does the maiken one compare in size the the sugar shack does anyone know?

janelwaters Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:07am
post #23 of 26

I went to hobby lobby yesterday to get an apron pattern and retro fabric - (since when to patterns cost $15!!! anyway...) I went to the clay section and bought the makins' one - WOW so much better than the little green one that I had - it is SO much easier and fits a ton more fondant!!!

it wasn't on sale at the store, but I really needed it for the hannah montana cake that I just did this morning - wish I had it on Friday for the paisley cake - oh well....now i know!!

Cakepro Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 5:38am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysn2001

I have the small one from sugar shack and don't really care for the size. I like to do ropes around my layers and it takes soooo long to get them the length I want. How does the maiken one compare in size the the sugar shack does anyone know?

I think you mean you have the SUGAR C RA FT gun.

I observed a side-by-side comparison of the Sugar c r a f t gun (gotta use spaces as Cake Central won't let that name be posted) and the Makin's Ultimate gun, and Makin's won hands down in ease of use.

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #25 of 26

I have the large extruder used by Jennifer Dontz for her cake decorating. I've never used (became disabled before was able to use it). If anyone is interested I paid $80 for it and am asking $45. Please email me to [email protected] or call me at 973-641-9920. I will be able to ship it if necessary.

Miriam Rothstein

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 9:42pm
post #26 of 26

You can get an extra large clay gun from artway. They have been at several cake shows and I bought the clay gun with the extra long barrel.

http://www.artwaytools.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%