Cake For Celiac?

Decorating By Bridy Updated 2 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm by Bridy

Bridy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridy Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #1 of 6

My baby girl(she will be 2) is being tested for Celiac's disease and her birthday is around the corner. I wont know until a few days close to her birthday if she has it or not, so I am planning ahead just incase.

My husband said I should make an ice cream cake, which I thought was a great idea.
But for future reference does anyone have any experiance in making glutin free cakes or cupcakes?

5 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 6

www.glutenfreeflour.com
I LOVE this stuff. You can sub it cup for cup with AP.
I like mixes, and use the chocolate cake from Pamela's products... Nobody can tell that it's GF. It's thick and rich and fudgy icon_smile.gif (I always add Sour Cream)
GF baking is different from regular baking. If you use that flour I mentioned there is no need to add Xanathan Gum because it's already in the mix...
You'll want to increase the amount of baking powder in your recipe because GF baked goods don't rise like regular ones. Also, make sure to grease your pan really well, GF is much stickier. (you even need to grease the cupcake papers) Good luck, and check out www.glutenfreegirl.com or there is a book called "Super Allergy Girl" that you may find very helpful icon_smile.gif
http://www.thesuperallergycookbook.com/
I don't know where you are located, but the author of this book is speaking at my Aunt's Wellness Center in August.
http://www.honorandhope.com/

stephi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephi17 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 6

Wow, I'm very sorry for your daughter, I have Celiac, and it's hard enough, but I couldn't imagine it for a kid!

From my experience ... a lot of gluten free cake mixes/flours taste alright, but have a gritty texture. However, there are a few homemade recipes, and a few mixes that are really good. I use amazon.com to get a lot of my products because they have the best prices, and if you spend $25 (not hard to do!) there's free shipping! The only bad thing is you have to buy by the case (usually 6 cake mixes instead of one)

Here's 2 really good ones: (non-Celiacs can't tell the difference)
Pamela's luscious chocolate cake mix
Gluten Free Pantry's spice cake (add carrots and nuts to get a fantastic carrot cake with cream cheese icing ... yum!)
Just search those on Amazon, but you can also get them in most grocery stores that sell gluten free, just a dollar or two more.

Good Luck!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 6

if you check under the recipes section I have submitted my gluten free flour substitute. I find that the best gluten free recipes are those with nuts - italian cream cake, almond (from paste) etc as they do hide the gritty texture from rice flour. Since I have switched to the Indian rice flour I hardly notice a difference in a regular recipe.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 6

I've read on another thread to bake with a pot of water in the oven to keep things moist.

Bridy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridy Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 6

thank you for all the hints and suggestions!

I think I will try and find a boxed cake for starting out since other people besides us have to eat this! But I am going to experiment with the recipes. Thank goodness she can eat icing! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%