Looped Bow Topper

Decorating By MaxTRexmom Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 12:28am by CoutureCakeCreations

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 11

I've tried making one out of MMF and it didn't come out good. icon_sad.gif Is there a better way?

10 replies
mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 11

Try making it with Wilton fondant. It tastes nasty, but Wilton fondant seems to be the best when it comes to making things like bows.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 11
Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 11

MaxTRexmom - what was it that you didn't like about the bow you made with the MMF? I now use Satin Ice, but for some of the first bows I made, I used MMF and they turned out ok. Maybe I can give you some suggestions if I know what you would like to change.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 11

I did one of cakequeen's bows over the weekend and it was so easy to do,
so give this a try, I'm sure you will find it works great!

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 11

I would try adding some tylose to the MMF. I have made bows with this and had no issue!

HTH~~

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 11

Those types of bows really are made best with gumpaste. You can even use a mixture of gumpaste and fondant, but I suggest all gumpaste.

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 11

I cut it into ribbons and formed the shape once over a small rolling pin and another time over wadded up paper towels. Both times they just fell flat even after hours of drying. I guess I could try the wilton but I hate to spend the $$ since I'm not really selling my cakes yet. I love the MMF because it's so cheap to make. I've seen ones made out of gumpaste that look great but I've never worked with gumpaste before so I'm not sure what the difference is.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 11

i use half fondant half gumpaste for all my loop bows. I dry them on a 1in dowel over night then i turn them on there sides and let them dry another day.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 11

Are you working in airconditioning or are you having to deal with the heat and humidity? If it's hot and humid, that can be a big part of your problem.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:28am
post #11 of 11

i forgot to mention a trick that I use when I posted earlier. As I said I use all gumpaste. Its just like fondant, but easier to use because you can roll it so thin and it is alot easier to handle. I use the wilton ribbon cutter to ensure that all of my ribbons are exactly the same width and I hand them over an empty paper towel roll. I just lay my towel rack on its side with the empty paper towel roll on it and lay my ribbons over top of it and join them together on the bottom with water or gum glue. This ensure that all of my ribbons dry with the same size loops. Check out the one on the peach cake in my gallery. It was my first and worked perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%