Martha Stewart's Smbc

Decorating By daisy114 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm by BakingJeannie

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 7

I was planning on trying out her recipe since I use the Confetti Cakes smbc and not getting great results with it. The only problem is, I see it says it needs to stay refridgerated. I thought smbc was able to stay out for at least 2 days. Does anyone know if this is true?

6 replies
daisy114 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:48am
post #2 of 7

Anyone?

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:17am
post #3 of 7

Store away from foods with strong odors...
Can be refridgerated for 1 week in an airtight container....or frozen for one month.
This info came from Martha Stewarts Wedding Cake Book.
Sorry no mention of leaving it out.....hope this helps.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 7

It is my understanding that it does NOT need to be. I did some searching online, and found this:

"if you use Swiss Meringue buttercream, it doesn't require refrigeration, because the eggs are cooked when you are heating the whites and sugar together. However, it's always wise to keep a wedding cake as cool as possible, but I'm sure you know that. Buttercream of ANY kind will melt in the heat."

From Colette Peters:
Meringue buttercreams (made with whites only) are not as perishable as ones with made with egg yolks. I would refrigerate the cake with consideration to how much time is needed to allow it to come to room temperature before serving. For a small cake, this might mean taking the cake out an hour before serving for a large wedding cake, it might mean six hours.

From Baking 911:
QUESTION: I've been told that Italian and Swiss Meringue Buttercream can be left out from 6 hours, all the way to 2 weeks. Does anyone know for certain the answer?

ANSWER: To refrigerate or not: There are many conflicting answers as to whether you need to refrigerate this frosting or not. Normally, meringue frostings made with EGG WHITES (no egg yolks or whole eggs) do not need refrigeration, but with the salmonella concerns of today, I recommend keeping it refrigerated.

daisy114 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:09am
post #5 of 7

Thanks!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 7

martha stewart's SMBC recipe on her website says it can be left at room temperature for up to 3 days.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 7

I make the Martha Steward SMBC ahead and refrigerate or freezes it. When I'm ready, I take it out (if frozen) a day ahead or the day of use if refrigerated. However, I try to be careful because of the eggs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%