Music Help Please

Lounge By redhare Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm by redhare

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so some of you may already be aware but for those whom aren't. I have having a SURPRISE bday party for my dh in April (yes I'm an early planner). Well, my best friends dh was going to burn the CD's for me for the party but they have recently become pregant and she's due right before the party so I don't want to ask him to make me a CD when he should be spending time w/ his bundle of joy. SO I'm going to ask him before he gets all those sleepless nights...

Anyway, the party is 1950's pin up girls and I want FIFTIES Big Band music playing like the Andrews Sisters Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and stuff like that but thing is I don't know any other 50's music and I've done some searches online w/ not a whole lot of luck found about 10 songs but that won't last very long and not all are the big band type (I want ppl dancing).

SO I was hoping that y'all could help me! PLEASE that would be AWESOME

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 7

Oh, are you young, or what?

You can't find any big band in the 50's because most of that music is from the late 30's through the 40's.

My son is big into Swing music, not so much the dancing (he can two step and fox trot, that's about it), but the beat really gets him going.

Try using the term Big Band Swing, or Swing Jazz, or Swing music.

Here's a link to a site which will help you get started. The artist's discographies can be found on Wikipedia.

http://www.swingmusic.net/Big_Band_Playlist.html

Theresa icon_smile.gif

redhare Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 7

Sorry did I totally just show my age!
Maybe that was my problem I was finding all kinds of Big band music from the 30's and 40's but I thought it continued into the 50's.

I appreciate your help - myself or the guest will know how to dance to it properly but once alcohol is involve it will be hilarious to watch people try...

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 7

Big Band did continue into the early 50's, but was losing popularity around that time. Latin music was coming into vogue, as were ballads, movie themes (think Henry Mancini), folk music, hot jazz. And then came the birth of Rock and Roll, in the mid 50's.

You can find a bunch of that music on Limewire.com.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

redhare Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 7

Thank You I appreciate it. I was having the hardest time I swore big band was big int he 50's (shows what I knew huh) LOL...

So what are some rock n roll classics I can't miss besides
The Twist, Shout and Rock around the Clock....

playingwithsugar Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 7

Anything by Chuck Berry, The Big Bopper, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, and of course, Elvis.

Rock and Roll was born in the South, I believe in the Memphis, TN area.

Do you ever watch the PBS music specials when they come on? There you will find almost all of them, especially the Doo-Wop shows. These feature bands which started in the mid to late 50's, and grew into the very early 60's.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

redhare Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you I really appreciate your help

I don't get a whole lot of PBS time, I get a whole lot of Noggin (haha) so when the kids go to bed I'm ready to collapse no tv icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%