More Sps Questions....

Business By 1234me Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm by Solecito

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 6

LeahS has convinced me this is what I need to try. Currently I am doing dowels and have with no problems until recently. I do not do wedding cakes, only party cakes so I rarely do 3 levels but I do do alot of 2 level stacked cakes - usually it is a 6 inch on top of a 10 inch. I do not deliver so I always put a dowel through the middle through the two tiers. It looks to me that you can't put a dowel through the middle of the SPS. I worry about that top cake shifting. Has anyone had a problem with that? I don't think I would worry so much if it were a larger/heavier cake but that 6 inch cake doesn't have much weight to it and I could see where it could move around if the middle dowel was not there to support it. Any thoughts on this?

5 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 6

That's one of my questions, how about the center dowel?

Let's see what the rest of the gals have to say...

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 6

I just ordered SPS for a 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 inch cake. Nope, they're plastic plates. You wouldn't be able to put a dowel through the whole thing. But, there is a raised post in the middle of each plate. You're supposed to poke a hole up through your cardboard round from bottom to top, and make it larger with a skewer. Then you put your cake on it. When you put the cake on the plate, it sits on that post so your cake wouldn't move.
HTH

Jodie

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 6

There's a little "numb" that will hold the plate in place. However, because I travel with 2 or 3 completely stacked wedding cakes I like a little more security. I actually use tape to stick the cardboard cake circle to the SPS plate.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:13am
post #5 of 6

IMO that center dowel gives you a false peace of mind anyway. If your cake is truly going over sideways, the dowel that's driven into the board at the bottom will remain - and tear right thru your cake.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 6

icon_surprised.gif I think that's what hapenned to my last big cake!!

Thank you leahs!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%