You Want This Cake For How Much??

Business By luvscakes Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm by mommicakes

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 16

Ok- I just need to rant.
I have a previous post on potential customers wasting my time when they want a nice cake for the price of a grocery store one. I know we ALL deal with this but this lady takes the cake icon_lol.gif Pun intended!

She calls and emails for 4 days. I attempt to get back with her and we play phone tag. She emails me a photo of the exact cake she wants. I've posted it below.
When I do speak with her she goes on and on about non cake things -(just need to talk to someone?)
I spend about 20 minutes trying to get back on track and after she tells me this will be for about 50 people- I suggest some cake sizes and tell her how much they'll feed. I tell her my BASE PRICE cost and charge her no extra although the cake has a lot of detail.
She adds that she also needs a smash cake. I tell her I'll do that for free.
End cost for the cake below at BASE price for 50 people is $155 thumbs_up.gif

She tells me she has to talk to her MIL- I tell her to email me if its a go.
I get an email minutes later saying "The most I will pay is $100 if you can do all that I want for this price then I'll hire you."
What???? icon_eek.gif
I don't go into the grocery store and say I'll pay you $1 for this box of cereal or $2 for this t-bone steak!!!
I email her back telling her my prices are set and to visit her local grocer for a sheet cake since she has a small budget. I wanted to say... you knew my pricing before hand- why did you waste my time??!!!!!!!!!

Anyway- the nerve of some people. Sheesh.
LL

15 replies
poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 16

I'll never understand why people think they can bargain the price of a cake. GEZZZ you'd think we were a car salesman.

Good for you for sticking to your prices. icon_biggrin.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 16

Okay, this is official "Annoying People Week"!! Too many people have annoyed me this week!!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 16

Good grief.

On one hand, I can see how people who have no clue how long it takes to make a cake on that level think our prices are high. But on the other hand, it takes time AND skill to make great cake, and we deserve to be paid accordingly!!

Good for you to sticking to your price...now you are free to make another cake at a price you deserve. icon_smile.gif

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 16

Wow! yet again, I am gld that I don't do this for a living! icon_lol.gif Just a hobby, just a hobby, just a hobby!! And staying that way! icon_biggrin.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 16

It never ceases to amaze me how people always want something for nothing. She probably heard from her MIL that you would bargain with her... Oh well! Hello cheesey Wal-Mart cake!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 16

Never ceases to amaze me!!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Okay, this is official "Annoying People Week"!! Too many people have annoyed me this week!!

I SECOND THAT!!!

Good for you for sticking to your guns! Some people!

I've had almost the same thing happen to me - with in-laws! LOL Um, DISTANT in-laws...and it seemed they were mad that I would not lower my price for them (when I was ALREADY giving them a discount!)!! I feel your pain and annoyance. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 16

That cake is awesome! WOW! Only $100? What a shame.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 16

I would have tolde her: "The only work I will do for $100.- is a sheet cake, if you can do without all the datails you wanted, then I'll make it for you."
Just like she e-mailed you. thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #11 of 16

I would write her this:

"Well.. you know that I can lie around and fart out beautiful cakes like that all day long. Normally I'd bend over and give you whatever you want for pennies on the dollar, but since you have angered me.. cake beeotch sez.. NO CAKE FOR YOU!"

Screw her. If you can do all of that for $100 I'll hire you.. like it's a prize for YOU.. pfffft!! No way.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

"Well.. you know that I can lie around and fart out beautiful cakes like that all day long.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Normally I'd bend over and give you whatever you want for pennies on the dollar, but since you have angered me.. cake beeotch sez.. NO CAKE FOR YOU!"

Screw her. If you can do all of that for $100 I'll hire you.. like it's a prize for YOU.. pfffft!! No way.

hahahah

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 16

thank you for the laughs!!!

melody

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 16

Solecito - That probably is one of the best "cake comebacks" I have ever heard! thumbs_up.gif

jkalman - You owe me a new soda, I just spit mine out laughing over your comment. icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 16

JK, icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif both at the same time (laughing & crying) my cheeks hurt! I'm gonna type that one print it and hang it on my wall in my kitchen, Even for my kids to read!!!! Thanks so much!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%