What Is The Going Rate For A Bakery Assistant?

Business By alibugs Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 12:19am by snarkybaker

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 6

I am considering getting an assistant. About how much would you offer? Thanks for your help.

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 6

Their experience should determine their wage. What if they can't produce fast enough for the pace of your shop? And what if they don't have the skill level you need, but do have the passion you seek in an employee?

Since the minimum wage here in PA is $7.15 per hour, I would offer no more than $9 to start, with raises based on performance, attendance, ability to learn, and finally, how soon I can leave them to do an entire advanced skills cake on their own.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 6

i give mine 10 an hour...worth every penny...but she is fast!

i've had other helpers that were so slow they weren't worth too much.

i think if you don't know them, start em out kinda low, to see how they do, and give them merit raises.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 6

I hired my first at $12 ($7.15 min wage here) thinking that would bring in qualified applicants... nope. She sucked. Only didn't have to fire her cause she must've smelled it in the wind and quit first. Super slow, didn't really seem to want to learn, horrible about cleaning. And she had graduated from culinary school. Moved over my then barista and she is amazing. Shes just 17 so still learning but shes really excited about it all and picking it up sooo quickly. She is getting $8.15. At that price I can afford to give her incremental raises as needed to keep morale up and I didn't step too far out at first with an unknown workability.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 6

get a jar of nothing. then stand your would be assistant next to it. ask if they like the view.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 12:19am
post #6 of 6

The girls in my kitchen earn from $9.00 to $14.00 per hour based on their skill and responsibility level.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%