Just A Few More Cakes...(Ramble)

Business By mkolmar Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 7

I have mixed feelings about this. I have only 2 more sheet cakes to sell and I'm done selling. I'm no longer going to be licensed through the church I was using. I'm a member of the church and have decided to part ways. I will never again rent a kitchen from a church I belong to. (Of course no other church in my area will talk to you about renting if you are not a member)
I talked to HD inspector today and he was telling me where I can go to rent that's really good but it's 45 minutes away and too expensive. He then said that he'll put my paperwork in the dormant file since he doesn't want to close it out on me just yet in case I find somewhere else to bake from. The HD truly is there to help you.

I've had a few people tell me just to sell illegally out of my home and as tempting as that is I just can't. DH and I are just not willing to risk it.

I want to take more time to practice and will be using this opportunity to do so. I need more work on my cake skills so this will be good in one way.
This stinks because I'm just starting to build up speed and people are starting to know my work and I have multiple repeat customers and now I'm done.
Darn these morals of mine, they keep getting in my way icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif .

6 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 7

I was considering calling my church to rent the kitchen - what was the issue that you had there - if you don't mind telling me. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share publicly.

I'm so sorry that you are in this situation! I hope that you find a solution quickly so that you don't lose momentum and customers.

mkolmar Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 7

I'll send you a PM explaining why. I still care for the church and don't want to sound like I'm talking ill of it.
I would just highly recommend not being a member of a church you are being licensed through to protect you from the issues I'm going through.

Part of me wants to find another place to rent from so I don't loose momentum and the other part just wants to be done since I have a bad taste in my mouth from the situation (so to speak).

I've already put the bug in some peoples ear that I may no longer be doing this for profit/selling and they were not happy. Some of my clients have called and said they are looking for me places to rent icon_rolleyes.gif so I can't quit now. I feel awful about it. I'm going to call a few places to day and see if I can rent from them, but if they say no there is no other options for me. I can't build on to my house since it costs too much money and I can't justify doing so. (Of course if I did then I could finally cater like I want icon_wink.gif )

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #4 of 7

Melissa,
That does stink, and sorry to hear. Does your state license home bakeries? Personally, I didn't sell "any" cakes until I optained a permit to do so... call me paranoid.... (and we're in "Sticks-ville, USA." )

You are now a chef, no? (I keep meaning to email you, but I haven't been on here in a while... )

let us know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 1 Aug 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 7

Where I live home bakeries are a no go. MI is really strict about that. I'm also paranoid that's why I'll be done soon. I'll try calling a few places to see if it's possible if I can use their kitchens, but if not I'll just be practicing like crazy which I'm fine with too.

After all that killer class load and raising kids I managed to graduate with honors this may. I'm so glad I'm done and yes, my title is now chef (but I still have lots to learn I feel so I don't go by it yet)

I've missed having you on her K2cakes. I was wondering if you were starving to death since you haven't been to the table in so long. icon_lol.gif
Email me anytime girl.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #6 of 7

Melissa, I have to resurrect this thread to ask if you've been able to resolve this issue. I hope so... you are too good to quit now, and you really seem to like it.

I'm impressed that so many people (customers) are going to bat for you and looking for places for you to rent. That says a lot about the kind of person you are as well. (pardon the pep talk, I got carried away)

Hey, keep us posted!! icon_cool.gif Good luck!

mkolmar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 7

K2--you'd make a great cheerleader icon_razz.gif . Your posts always make me smile.

As of right now I have not really been actively looking. I know I should be but I've been consumed with other things. I put it on the back burner until my kids go to school in September. I have a list I've been adding to of businesses to call. I know I'll get a lot of people saying no before I'll ever get a yes (if I do get one).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%