Is This Gonna Look Weird?

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm by dinas27

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 27

I have an order for a baby shower (boy) cake coming up. The want an 11x15 (I pushed for a tiered cake but they insisted) and the design is up to me... I bought Aine2's baby tutorial yesterday, and want to put it in top of the cake. I also have a 4oz (life size) chocolate baby bottle mold that I'd like to use... So, if I put large baby items (paci, bottle etc.) around the cake, will it look funny having a small fondant baby on top? I just don't know about having a bottle the same size as the baby icon_biggrin.gif ---
Any suggestions? I really want to use the mold, but I will leave it out if it will look funny... thanks!

26 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 27

Here is a copy of the invite... I could go easy and just do an EI to recreate this on the cake... but I think that is kinda boring...
LL

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 27

I think it would look funny. How about a cake with baby feet somehow? I did a quick search and lots of cakes come up in the galleries with baby footprints. There are also lots of cakes that look like blankets or have blanket patterns. Would that work?

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 27

Hi
Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed - apologies if i am. If the bottle and other items go around the cake ie on the cake board not the cake, then it might look ok coz it won't be next to the baby - I haven't seen Aine2's baby so i'm not sure how big it is. My first thought was that you could use the bottle and write the name on it (eg. Baby Smith) that way it would have a purpose and possibly not look just like a giant bottle compared to the baby.
Sorry this is probably no help!

AnneMarie

tamivo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamivo Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 27

you could put the bottle on top and have the baby sitting on it icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmum

Hi
Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed - apologies if i am. If the bottle and other items go around the cake ie on the cake board not the cake, then it might look ok coz it won't be next to the baby - I haven't seen Aine2's baby so i'm not sure how big it is. My first thought was that you could use the bottle and write the name on it (eg. Baby Smith) that way it would have a purpose and possibly not look just like a giant bottle compared to the baby.
Sorry this is probably no help!

AnneMarie

I was thinking this too... the cake will be 4" tall... I love the idea of baby feet, I just don't want to cover the whole cake with them... thanks everyone!!

janine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janine1972 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 27

I like tamivo's idea - would look cute having the baby "riding" ontop of the bottle, maybe have milk squirting out it?? so it looks like its taking off??? lol

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 27

Yep, I thought of that, too. Maybe having the baby laying on top or sitting on top of the bottle. That would be adorable icon_smile.gif And wouldn't look so out of place, as maybe it would if it were just lying next to him.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 27

I like the baby on top of the bottle idea too!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 27

I think the baby riding on top is a good idea but I don;t think it will necessarily ork with Aine's baby. I love the sheet cakes that are like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1306

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=7807

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=27278

The last one is probably my favorite because it is in the form of a sheet cake but completely transformed. So cute! Anyways hope that helped!

Tootall Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 27

You could do a baby butt cake! You wouldn't be able to use Aine's tutorial on it, but it would go with the big bottle icon_smile.gif I think they're soooo cute!

foxymomma521 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 27

I love the baby butt cake! Unfortunately my DH and sister both think it's weird and I would be mortified if the customer didn't like it either... Thank you everyone for the ideas... I may just do the onesie and booties. Is there a template for the onesie, or should I just use one of my son's?
Oh, and every time I try and picture the baby riding a bottle, I keep seeing the naked babies riding carrots from the cake wrecks blog icon_biggrin.gif
http://bp2.blogger.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/SF3eCv8VFMI/AAAAAAAAAGs/s1WclVE61nI/s1600-h/baby+carrot.jpg icon_lol.gif

Tootall Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 27

icon_lol.gif Ah, the naked carrot riding babies! Eek! Little odd icon_biggrin.gif She has a baby butt cake on there, too, but I think it's an adorable idea! Especially if it's a fondant topper and you're not actually eating baby butt icon_confused.gif

tamivo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamivo Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 27

heehee I laugh just thinking about that picture icon_smile.gif I probably wouldnt "straddle the baby" lololol ... I thought about even putting the baby on the bottle laying down with his butt up in the air icon_razz.gif

auntiekim82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiekim82 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 27

If you are concerned about the size comparison...why not go to the baby doll aisle in a toy store and get some of those smaller versions for dolls? That way, they'd be on a smaller scale and maybe not overpower the cake so much.

HTH!

Tootall Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamivo

heehee I laugh just thinking about that picture icon_smile.gif I probably wouldnt "straddle the baby" lololol ... I thought about even putting the baby on the bottle laying down with his butt up in the air icon_razz.gif

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! icon_biggrin.gif It would be key-oote!

foxymomma521 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm
post #17 of 27

Aww that would be cute, I'll practice and see how it looks! Thanks everyone!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 6:40am
post #18 of 27

we would love to see pictures when you're done. anything to erase those "naked babies on carrots" mental image. icon_smile.gif

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 7:05am
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

we would love to see pictures when you're done. anything to erase those "naked babies on carrots" mental image. icon_smile.gif

OMG i just saw the naked baby on carrot one! GROSS!!!!! lol

foxymomma521 Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:09am
post #20 of 27

Hee Hee! I love that blog!
I think I've decided to do a onesie with baby sneakers (I've done booties but not sneakers, so we'll see). I'm also going to make the baby bottle, and I want to try and make a pacifier. Anybody made one of those before? I considered making my own mold, or making it out of chocolate, but I really like the f/g ones in the galleries... Any other suggestions you guys can think of? Thanks for the help everyone!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 2 Aug 2008 , 11:39am
post #21 of 27

If you really want to use the baby bottle, you could downsize the look a little by nestling it into the cake in one corner (imbed it right into the cake), and then make a little baby sitting at the bottom looking up at it. That way you could practice making babies too.....(that makes it sound like fun huh lol)... anyway, if the baby doesn't work out, any other items dwarfed alongside would work as babies are about milk first and diapers second lol.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 12:24pm
post #22 of 27

Just a little reminder, about the paci and bottle. Make sure they are not breastfeeding supporters, or they will hate the cake.

foxymomma521 Posted 3 Aug 2008 , 1:04pm
post #23 of 27

I highly doubt they will HATE the cake... I am still nursing my almost 9 month old, and would never be offended with those items. I think you are way off base with your comment.

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 4:05am
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I highly doubt they will HATE the cake... I am still nursing my almost 9 month old, and would never be offended with those items. I think you are way off base with your comment.

Agreed...I still nurse my 14 month old baby....and we had paci's (for a time) and bottles in our house...I mean, I didn't outlaw them or anything...I actually encouraged the use of both from time to time, LOL.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 7:27am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I didn't mean to offend any one, I am sorry.
But I am a nurse, I work with breastfeeding mothers, and I know what I am saying. Maybe supporters is not the word to use, maybe I don't know the real word, as I am not from nor in USA. Perhaps a stronger word was needed here.
I didn't mean to upset anyone, I withdraw what I said, and that's fine for me.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm
post #26 of 27

anamado, I understood what you were trying to say. I think that since those are typical baby items no one wuld be offended.

I love the cakes with the onesies and booties. I just made a tushie cake for a shower this past weekend and they loooved it. I also thought it was kinda weird at first, but I thought it turned out cute! I think something with feet or booties would be great to match the invitation.

Good luck!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamivo

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! icon_biggrin.gif It would be key-oote!

this is also what popped into my head. totally anne geddes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%