Attempting To Make A Topsy Turvy Cake. Need Help

Decorating By Stargazer85 Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm by Sarsi

Stargazer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stargazer85 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:07am
post #1 of 9

I am attempting to make a topsy turvy cake for my daughters birthday coming up and I was wondering what the best type of cake is best to use. And if anyone has any other tips for this type of cake it would be most helpful.

8 replies
sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 9:26am
post #2 of 9

My daughter want one in September for my granddaughters birthday.I'm at a colplete loss as to what to do. Any help please.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 9
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 9

the durable cake recipe from here at CC is great for this.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 9

I just recently made my first topsy-turvy. It's in my photos. The article here on CC about how to make a topsy-turvy was fantastic. I couldn't have made the cake without it. I used the sour cream almond white cake recipe here on CC. It worked great. After refrigeration, it was nice and sturdy.
Good luck, you'll have to post pics.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 9

I used the WASC cake for my 1st topsy turvey. I think you shouldn't try a regular mix cake because they're too soft and fluffy for carving.
Use this tutorial:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587795.html

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 9

I made mine this way http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html
I made straight sides on mine but other than that I followed these instructions.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 9

I've experimented tons looking for the perfect carvable cake, and the WASC recipe wins hands-down. (I modify it to suit any cake flavor).

The hole in the top method is messy and unreliable - just not necessary!

I use foam core boards for my cake rounds. For the base, I glue 3 of them together because I hammer dowels all the way through the bottom. The depth of the 3 foam boards holds the dowels in tightly.

The bottom tier has the slant cut in the top (I don't carve a hole, as the tutorial on here suggests), and each successive tier has a slant cut in both the top and bottom so it looks like a wedge.

I dowel normally for stacking, but I make sure to leave space for two extra dowels that I hammer down into the whole cake after it's stacked.

If I know there won't be anything on top of the cake to hide the two dowel holes, it's a bit more challenging. I hammer dowels into the bottom tier, leaving about 3" sticking up. Then I use a drop of food color on top of the dowels to leave a mark on the bottom of the cake board of the top tier.

I position the top tier over the bottom tier for correct placement, touching the tips of the dowels to the cake board so I know where to make holes.

Then I turn the top tier upside down on a piece of parchment paper and use a sharp knife or ice pick to make holes for the dowels. Then carefully slide the top tier over the dowels, being careful that I'm holding it at the right angle to sit evenly over the bottom tier.

For the jungle cake I used 8,9,10" for the bottom tier and 6,7,8" for the top tier.

I slice each 2" cake in half for filling, except for the top that is cut into an angle (the 10" and 8"). BUT, I only use 4 of the 6 tortes, so I end up with 3 filling layers. The other tortes either get used for the dam (I mix cake crumbs with a little BC for the dam) or I save them for another cake for family or friends.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 9

Check out the tutorial at the top of the list of topics on the How Do I? Forum.... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%