Color Experts--Help With Gold Imbc?!? Ack, Choke Lol

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm by aswartzw

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I'm working on a cake for 8/9/08--it's supposed to be cafe au lait, which I've already spent some time trying to achieve just the right shade.

FORTUNATELY I emailed the planner today, like, "Hey, do we have a color to match to for the cafe au lait for the cake". You know, just to be sure...

She's like "No--and we're not doing cafe au lait; we're doing a champagne-y gold color."

Me: "You mean gold...like a yellowish color?"

Her: "No...gold like jewelery. Not yellowish."

Me: icon_eek.gif *reaching for cel phone*

So I called her and we talked. It's not supposed to be metallic (it's IMBC after all), and it can be a very very light shade, but HOW am I supposed to get "gold like jewelery"??? without doing metallic and without it being Americolor gold (which is like light mustard), or anything "yellowish"??? Maybe just an antique ivory?...or get a glass of champagne and try to match to that. And then drink the champagne...! But ivory isn't gold like jewelery!

I'm at a loss on this one! Anyone have any ideas for me or any cakes you can think of that might be a nonmetallic gold, like jewelery, but not yellow??
icon_confused.gif *pout* icon_cry.gif

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 6

Why not just offer her the option of keeping the cake it's natural IMBC off-white colour and using gold edible/non-edible details on the cake?

You can sell her the idea by saying...

1) I don't think we'd have great success trying to tint the icing to something that looks metallic gold

2) Unless we change to fondant icing, I'm not sure how we'd even go about airbrushing the cake

and the biggest point IMHO...

3) do you really think that 100+ people in their finest clothes and with their bleached teeth are going to be clammering to enjoy a slice of metallic gold cake?? It's as silly as red or black wedding cakes staining the teeth in a venue where your photo is being taken every few minutes.

(The threat of the bride's cake not being eaten or enjoyed will change her mind about a gold cake pretty fast. Imagine that $ being wasted and the cake not enjoyed?? icon_lol.gif )

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #3 of 6

My daughter's wedding was the champagne color, and the swatches I had were more of a light brown but dark ivory color. I would make them supply a swatch. The champagne color is more like this:
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridesmaids_return_by_color.jsp?cfid=42

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 6

Oh, I LIKE that David's color! Wonder if that's what they want...

The planner later mentioned that the linen color is "wheat" with maybe some metallic gold thread here and there in the tie-backs, so I went towards that color, mixed up a bit of leftover IMBC with ivory and two shades of americolor gold in it, and sent her a pic with the 3 choices, saying, "These are your options." I'm waiting for an answer now.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #5 of 6

I have airbrushed pearl liquid luster over ivory BC before and it looks like champagne. Adds that little "sparkle" as well icon_wink.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 6

I think of champagne as more of a pinkish beige. Maybe it's THEM that doesn't know what champagne is. Champagne and gold is not the same thing. icon_confused.gif

Tell them you want a picture or ribbon or something of this color just to make sure you are on the same page. Weird people.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%