I Need Help Making A Margarita Cake (Soon!!!!)

Decorating By kelsiedelizzle Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm by brnrlvr

kelsiedelizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsiedelizzle Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 8

This cake is for a 21st birthday. I am making it similar to this cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1006663
except with a margarita theme, instead of a martini.
My question is: how can I make the margarita glass look like it's full... do I fill it with something, and what would that be?
For the salt, I plan on using those sprinkles, I think they're called cake sparkles or something.
And for the lime, maybe a fondant lime?

But my biggest question is how do I make the margarita glass look realistic without, obviously, having a real margarita in it?

TIA!!

7 replies
kelsiedelizzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelsiedelizzle Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 8

So I really don't know what I'm doing and I have to make this cake on friday. icon_sad.gif

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 8

How about filling it with green jello? Just make it right in the glass. Be sure to support it under with some dowls/straws and a board!
Good luck!
Tracy

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 8

If you are going to make it like he martini cake why don't you use a margarita glass and fill it will crumpled light green and white tissue paper.
I would rim the glass with real sugar and a real slice of lime or one of those candy gummy limes. Also I made margarita cookies and marbled white fondant with lime green and used these to cover the margarita glass cookie and then I rimmed the top of the cookie with sugar sprinkles. I then tied a small green ribbon around the stem of the cookie. Just throwing out some ideas, hope it helps. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif [/img]

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 8

Or green piping gel? icon_smile.gif It would be easier than making up the jello, anyway. I'm not positive what one looks like EXACTLY since I've never had one, but hey, piping gel tinted green is clear and looks like liquid! icon_lol.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

Or green piping gel? icon_smile.gif It would be easier than making up the jello, anyway. I'm not positive what one looks like EXACTLY since I've never had one, but hey, piping gel tinted green is clear and looks like liquid! icon_lol.gif

This was my thought exactly! I think piping gel would definitely work!

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 8

Piping gel is kind of clear too. I'd be worried about it not setting up (unless you plan on filling the glass on site, then it's not really an issue).
You could add a little milk to jello to get it to look cloudy.

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 8

I used jello that i beat with a blender after it set up for this cake. They make Margarita flavored jello this time of year!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_830673.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%