California Cake Decorating Business ?

Business By cakenewbe Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm by MacsMom

cakenewbe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbe Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All,
I have read many of the posts here on CC regarding Cake Decorating Business. I have gone on to our state website but maybe i am not looking for the right thing or in the right place because i can not find anything related to bakeries/home bakeries. Per some of the posts here, California does not allow you to use your main kitchen for the business. I have a back house almost 20 feet away from the main house and i want to turn that into a legal kitchen for baking my cakes but i can not find any info on legalities or requirements. Can you please help me with some info or direct me to the right place. Greatly appreciated.

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 4

You probably should start with zoning to see if they will allow a business in your area. then, the health department does licensing for food services. You can probably contact an inspector for advice.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, check the zoning for your city. Mostly the problem is the health department. They say that in a private residence they do not have free access to the kitchen so that's why you can't get a license. Since you have a detached kitchen it will probably depend on the zoning. It is very difficult in Calif. if your a home baker.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 4

You do have to live in a business district. Call the agricultural center before the health department.

Quote by @%username% on %date%