Do You Charge A Deposit For A Baby Shower Cake?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm by MichelleM77

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

This morning, I rcvd an email from someone who's asked about a baby shower cake that serves 30 for Sunday, Aug. 10.

I think I should request a deposit by this Sunday, with the balance due a few days prior to the date? Or should I just request that it be paid 100% upfront by maybe Tuesday 8/5 or something?

What do you guys do? Advice please? I plan to answer her later today.

Thanks much!

10 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 11

At this late date I would ask for the entire amount paid by this Sunday.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 11

paid in full 2 weeks prior to delivery

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 11

I charge a deposit on all of my cakes.

If the event is less than 2 weeks I require full payment up front.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 11

I do not mess with deposits for anything under $100.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you, ladies, for your feedback. Unfortunately, I don't have to worry about this order.

She emailed me back and said that the order would be too pricey for this occasion, but that she'd be willing to spend the extra $$$ for her daughter's 3rd birthday in Sept.

Oh well...I guess $2.75/serving is too much. Lol! icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll keep your info in mind for next time!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 11

If you have been reading all the threads lately, or belong to more than one forum, you will have read several no-shows who ordered cakes, then never picked them up, leaving the decorator with cake and without money.

Things are at the point these days where bakers should be doing as was mentioned above - full payment within two weeks of date, anything ordered at last minute is immediate payment in full.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 11

Deposits on everything, and I do mean everything. My minimum order is $50, and it takes a $25 deposit with full payment 2 weeks ahead. Although, if it's a $50 cake, they usually pay it all when they order.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 11

I require full payment by 4 weeks prior to the event. Anything after that you have to pay in cash and in full upon ordering. I do take deposits on everything.. 50% is due upon ordering unless you fall into the above time frame. I have a $90 min order (and 8" cake).

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 11

I've been doing cakes for 27 years and I haven't asked for a deposit on any of them.

Jibbies

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 11

I ask for 50% at time of order and the remainder due upon delivery if I know them and three days prior if I don't. Most people just go ahead and pay the whole thing at time of order (usually credit card via PayPal). I won't do an order for a stranger w/o getting at least 50% at time of order because I have read too many posts about people who don't get paid, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%