Cheesecake Questions...sorry Long...

Decorating By mommicakes Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm by sfunky67

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, my niece is getting married and has asked me to do a cheesecake wedding cake for her. I have a couple of questions any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are going to be doing a couple of flavors, but I don't have abut 1 springform pan, could you use another (regular) pan in other sizes?

And if you can: how do you remove it from the pan without messing it up?

And if anyone has any tried & awesome recipes would you mind sharing them with me???? My niece loves anything chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks so much!!! icon_redface.gif

8 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 9

Before I had springform pans I used a regular round cake pan. Iâd put a circle of parchment in the bottom so the graham wouldnât stick. After the cake had cooled enough Iâd put it in the freezer to stiffen up enough I could flip it out of the pan without it falling apart. Itâs messy and Iâd always lose some of my crust in the process but it worked.

Honestly though springform pans arenât very expensive, you can get one at Wal-Mart for next to nothing. Iâd save myself the headache and just buy another pan.

Melody25 has a TON of cheesecake recipes. All of them I have tried have been fabulous. I would PM her and see if sheâll send you some. Sheâs got so many itâs hard to choose one icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you LNW. I'll have to PM her.
Are there many different sizes of springforms out there? I would like to offer different sizes. just to have a WOW factor I guess. icon_rolleyes.gif

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 9

Yep, plenty of different sizes icon_smile.gif I got a set of them from Walmart, 6, 8 & 10", I think, for $12 icon_biggrin.gif And you can even take the bottom of the pan out, replace it with a foil covered cake board, wrap the outside of the pan in foil, and bake it like that. I do this every time I'm taking a cheesecake somewhere, so I don't have to worry about losing my pan bottom or moving the CC to another plate/board icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 9

icon_lol.gif Thanks so much! knew I could get the info here.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

And you can even take the bottom of the pan out, replace it with a foil covered cake board, wrap the outside of the pan in foil, and bake it like that.

Thanks for the great idea Tootall! I could never figure out how to get the cheesecake off the bottom and not ruin it Sometimes I just don't think too far out of the box! icon_rolleyes.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 9

I have a set of three spring form pans (8,10, and 12 inch) from Wal-Mart for about $15 I believe and they work wonderfully. You could easily get 2 sets and make what you need. Just send me a PM and I'll send you my list and you can let me know what recipes you would like.

As for removing it from the base... I just put a piece of parchment paper on the bottom and close the pan around it leaving the extra hanging under the pan. I fold it under and put the pan on a cookie sheet. Then one its cold and set, I just undo the form and slide the parchment paper with the cheesecake on it off the base. you can then trim the extra paper off.

Thanks LNW for the comments on my recipes, Im pretty partial to them.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the great idea Tootall! I could never figure out how to get the cheesecake off the bottom and not ruin it Sometimes I just don't think too far out of the box! icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, I can't take credit for it! icon_biggrin.gif I learned it from my favorite cheesecake cookbook, The Ultimate Cheesecake Cookbook. It's WONDERFUL! thumbs_up.gif [/quote]

sfunky67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfunky67 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 9

You could always make part or all of the cake "dummy" cake and have the frosted cheesecakes in the back, cut and ready to serve. Taste of Home has some awesome cheesecake recipes, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%