Essential Cake Supplies/ What Do You Wish You'd Learned?

Decorating By amberlicious Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 2:43am by amberlicious

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 7

I have the opportunity to teach some classes at a local kitchen store. It's a locally owned and run store that can stock what they wish (they don't hail to corporate or Wilton). After some bad experiences with some teachers that Wilton has sent him the owner is looking for someone to teach classes that are a little more updated then Wilton- and not necessarily a 4 week series or whatever.

So I'm thinking of doing 3 hour classes that are independent of taking other classes.

He also is wanting to carry things that will bring decorators in. I suggested Americolor already- I'd love not to have to drive an hour for those. What other things would you suggest? (He does carry an okay selection of Wilton stuff).

My class ideas:
Basics with Buttercream- cake hints, icing making, torting/filling, crumbcoating, frosting, borders and writing as well as basic cake design.

Basic Fondant- how to make MMF, how to color and cover a cake. Fondant decorations

Gumpaste basics- making gumpaste, bows, flowers

Kids class- only 90 minutes for kids ages 7-12 basics for kids

Cupcakes- filling, easy decorations

any other ideas? Suggestions for classes?

6 replies
kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 7

I would love to take all of those classes!! It sounds like a wonderful idea. Our Wilton person here cant seem to call me back to start the first class... Being a beginner I think a class about stacking/tiers would be good. Good luck!!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 7

How about a session on stacking cakes!! icon_smile.gif

amberlicious Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the ideas!

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 7

ooooooooo stacking!! Oh, and dec'g cookies that look like the *amazing* ones here!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 7

I would also recommend decorating cookies. I love all things in the CK product lines.

amberlicious Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:43am
post #7 of 7

CK products? Enlighten me please. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%