Does Anyone Know How To Make A Deer Out Of Fondant/gumpaste?

Decorating By shannon0407 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm by dragonflydreams

shannon0407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon0407 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. I am making a camping cake for my dad's birthday and for the life of me I can't make a darn deer. It looks like a lump with ears! Actually I think my three year old did a better job. icon_cry.gif Does anyone have any pointers for me? I would really appreciate any help I can get. TIA.

5 replies
tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #2 of 6

Hi Shannon! Hoping this post isn't too late for you since you posted last night but I'm responding anyway! Just made my first fondant deer this week for my husbands hunting cake. Mine was slightly cartoonish, but turned out well. It helped me to look at pictures. There is a hunting/deer cake here on CC - look for picture of cake with hunter sleeping against tree and feet sticking out of a tent and a deer on it. I looked at that cake alot as well as googling pictures of real deer. Sounds silly, but it helped. Also I made the head, body, antlers and ears all separately. I put half a toothpick in each ear and each antler while fondant ws still soft and then attached them after they were dry. Also since my deer was sitting (roasting a marshmallow while the men slept -hehe) I put a dowel through the body and attached the head to it. The real deer pictures really helped me in forming the antlers and ears and head shape. I haven't posted my hunting cake pic, but will do it right now so you can look at it also. Hope this helps!!

shannon0407 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:59am
post #3 of 6

Thank you! I saw your pic earlier today and set right out making a deer like yours. Also I did look at some online too but your deer was more helpful as that was the look I was going for.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 4:26am
post #4 of 6

I have one in my photos. Not sure what you're looking for. I too find it helpful to look at pictures, or a toy. Mine's legs are a little skinny, but too was going for cartoon look. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1210495

Tear drop for the head & shape from there. Oval for the body (I would shape this first so you'll know how big to make the head---don't want an over large or over small deer). Ears--small balls & flatten. Antlers & legs, roll out snakes & shape. If you don't want the body/legs to be one big piece you can make indentions in the body to place the legs after drying. If you want the legs/body to be one big piece, start w/ a bigger piece, cut for cuts where legs would be & pinch & pull until you form the legs. You can smooth the where you made the cuts w/ your tools.

Hope that helps some. I used tylose/vodka mix for glue. Toothpick in the head to attach to body. Making legs put napkins under them to support until they dry (if it's sitting).

shannon0407 Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you thank you thank you. I made one yesterday ( it looks more like a dog ) but i'm going to try and try again until I get it right!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 6

. . . while this is actually a reindeer . . . I figure a deer is a deer is a deer . . . this is a pretty easy pattern . . . good luck and have fun . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1173404

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%