Wasc Question

Baking By Molly2 Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm by Mom2ANC

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 10

I made my first WASC cake this weekend it came out fantastic I know its very dens cake but my question is does this cake dry out fast the taste was great I used the recipe the has been given out on this forum it was level I never had a cake do that my big question is does it stay moist I donated the cake so I donât know what it was like after a day or two I am getting ready to make the chocolate version and I would really like to know because I really like this recipe and would love to continue to use it.

Molly2
icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Molly2 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 10

Anybody?

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 10

Well, I may not be the best person to ask, but I wanted to give you a bump up.

I had to do a wedding for a friend recently and thanks to my crappy apartment oven was having a heck of a time with my regular white cake. I gave in and did the WASC (I am usually just scratch--not that I have anything against the box! icon_smile.gif ) and it worked like a dream!

I had no issues with drying out at all, and some of my layers sat out for up to 12 hours waiting to be iced. None ended up dry and it was really good!

If you don't get responses, do some searching for threads about WASC and see if others have good tips or opinions.

Good luck!

Molly2 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you for responding I'm getting ready to make the chocolate recipe I sent the other cake with hubby to work he said everyone loved it I was just wondering if anyone had problems with it sitting out and drying

Molly

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 10

I know this may be a late response, but I've made this cake several times and not always frosted it. It has never dried out and when I take it into work for them to eat, it is usually left uncovered as the employees eat it by the spoonfulls or cut pieces as they walk by it!

Let us know how the chocolate version is. I've never made that one.

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 10

I LOVE WASC! In fact, it's the only recipe I use now icon_smile.gif And I use it with any cake flavor, I just change the extracts. I've never had an issue with it being dry. I do add a box of pudding to the mix now (thanks to some helpful people here on CC!) and it stays nice and moist for a long time. I usually have leftover cupcakes, uniced, that sit on our counter for a week or so (in a covered bowl) and we eat them throughout the week. Can't tell a difference in the ones we eat toward the end of the week. YUM-E! icon_biggrin.gif

Winter1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winter1979 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 10

I too have never had this cake dry out and I have had one sit on the counter all day. The chocolate version is substituting a chocolate box mix (I use a milk chocolate mix) and using 6 whole eggs instead of the 8 whites. As posted by other CC members I also substitute 1/2 cup cocoa for 1/2 cup of the flour as the boxes don't seem to be chocolatey enough. I have also read some add a little coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor also.

Molly2 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all for the input. Winter I have a recipe that says to add 2/3 cup of coco instead of all the flour and coffee in place of the liquid and omit the almond it sounds yummy.

Molly thumbs_up.gif

Juny1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juny1980 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall

I LOVE WASC! In fact, it's the only recipe I use now icon_smile.gif And I use it with any cake flavor, I just change the extracts. I've never had an issue with it being dry. I do add a box of pudding to the mix now (thanks to some helpful people here on CC!) and it stays nice and moist for a long time. I usually have leftover cupcakes, uniced, that sit on our counter for a week or so (in a covered bowl) and we eat them throughout the week. Can't tell a difference in the ones we eat toward the end of the week. YUM-E! icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Tootall,

Did I read correctly, do you add pudding to your WASC mix? Does that help the cake be even that more moist? Let me know.

Thanks!

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 10

I'd like to know about the pudding as well.
I love putting pudding in cakes.

What flavor of pudding do you use, and how does it change the baking time?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%