The Photo In Your Avatar...

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:29am
post #1 of 20

There is all this talk about photos being copy written and if you have rights to it and that kind of stuff.

It got me to thinking....I see all these photos being used of movie stars, of famous cakes, of all kinds of stuff as avatars. Isnt this, well, gals, the same thing? Aren't you using a copywritten photo that you didnt take (unless of course, you are good friends with Brad Pitt and took that photo at your last dinner party)

Just thought I would throw that out there...

(ducking....)

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

19 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 20

Sly is a very good friend of mine....we go waaaay back and I know he won't mind.

thumbs_up.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 20

Ooops--I guess I should have checked with Mr. Frog first before I used him as my avatar but he was just so darn cute.

It may depend on where you get the pic. I have seen some celebrities in avatar websites.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #4 of 20

Guess I'm in the clear on this one! Mine is my daughter, and my DH took the picture! icon_smile.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #5 of 20

I think you can use the photo, you just couldn't sell cakes by claiming...buy your cakes from me I am best friends with_____ and this is a photo I took of him and if you buy your cake from me, you just may get a glimpse of him when you come to pick up the cake.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #6 of 20

My beautiful Bully Helga signed over her rights to me for her photo! All for a piece of cake!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #7 of 20

It's okay. I gave myself permission. We're all good friends and share well.......me, myself and I! icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #8 of 20

My kitty, Pepper, was gracious enough to give me her permission as well (please note CC on computer screen behind her) but only as long as she gets her daily treats!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #9 of 20

I think it's a very good thought on this! Good call!

But I hope Monkey Butt products won't mind me using their image as I bought a ton of their product to send to our troops in Iraq!

I plead ignorance!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #10 of 20

I gave myself permission to use my cake too.. LOL

But I think it's different than using it as an advertisement, which is exactly what using someone's photos of their cakes for your own use would be. You aren't using your avatar as a ploy to get people to look at your posts (unless you are JanH and her delicious men folk *drool* icon_wink.gif ) [kidding!!!!!]

vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:04am
post #11 of 20

jkalman!~ OMG, JanH has the most delicious men for avatar! I go to post a reply and then I see her avatar and lose concentration!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #12 of 20

You are right on by saying that by scouring the internet to find a 'picture' to use you are using something that you don't have the 'copyright' for and are using it for your own use with out permission.

I do think that what people on here get upset about is that people that 'steal' cake pictures are playing them off as something they have done and did not give credit where credit is due. They are saying I made this cake and I took this picture.

Where as if I had a picture of some famous person under my name I'm not pretending to be him/her.

But over all, yep there are alot of people that use things they find on the internet for their own purposes, either as their icons, or extras on their websites.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:31am
post #13 of 20

You are right on by saying that by scouring the internet to find a 'picture' to use you are using something that you don't have the 'copyright' for and are using it for your own use with out permission.

I do think that what people on here get upset about is that people that 'steal' cake pictures are playing them off as something they have done and did not give credit where credit is due. They are saying I made this cake and I took this picture.

Where as if I had a picture of some famous person under my name I'm not pretending to be him/her.

But over all, yep there are alot of people that use things they find on the internet for their own purposes, either as their icons, or extras on their websites.

vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:33am
post #14 of 20

Texassugar~ you are right....I am definately NOT saying I'm a monkey butt!!! ha, ha

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:06am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Texassugar~ you are right....I am definately NOT saying I'm a monkey butt!!! ha, ha

LOL I hope not!!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

That's toooo funny! My sides hurt from laughing too much. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

vickymacd Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 10:59am
post #17 of 20

Although I'm sure some would tend to disagree with me at times. Hey, I've been called worse! LOL

loriemoms Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:46am
post #18 of 20

hahaha! You guys are nuts!!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #19 of 20

lol....I needed a good laugh! The idea of Mac getting sued by Mr. Frog for a million flies cracked me up... well all of them did.

I guess I could sue myself, but since I have no money anyway, it'd do me no good. Hey, if I sued myself for my house for using my own pic and I won, think I could get my mortgage eliminated?

loriemoms Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

lol....I needed a good laugh! The idea of Mac getting sued by Mr. Frog for a million flies cracked me up... well all of them did.

I guess I could sue myself, but since I have no money anyway, it'd do me no good. Hey, if I sued myself for my house for using my own pic and I won, think I could get my mortgage eliminated?

Hmm never thought of it that way....Maybe make yourself a ugly cake and sue yourself and then Judge Judy would reward yourself damages?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%