Oh Boy! Irrate Customer

Business By sweetcakes Updated 30 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm by mymomandmecakes

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #31 of 99

Come on! Seriously? You ruined the whole surprise? The whole birthday?

First off all, I imagine Princess had a feeling a party was in the making and, even if she didn't, I imagine she'd expect AT LEAST a cake. So, a cake decorator calling about a cake isn't unheard of when there's someone with a birthday in the house.

It's not like you called and said, "So and so's cake is ready for the surprise party! I hope the car on it is a s cool as her real one. Did you want me to deliver it or do you think she'll want to drive over herself in her NEW CAR?????"

Try to laugh it off because it is ridiculous. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:43pm
post #32 of 99

thank you all for your replies, the actual birthday was 7 / 16 / 91
i asked cause i said id put it on the license plate like the English ones with her initials. i justs posted the picture. im glad you all agree and from now on if i have to call back i will just leave my name. Its all a learning process. he's the one that ruined his daughters party not I.

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #33 of 99

That Bia!!!!!!! There was no need for that! I hope that Walmart cake gave him a serious case of diarreah! Sorry!!!!!!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #34 of 99

I say this....who the h&$$ plans a party for a whole year and orders the cake a week in advance..And what spoiled teenager gets a new car..a cooper mini... for a birthday gift nowadays!!! I say you should have told them to Frick -Off and get a life!!! Sounds like a whole bunch of spoiled,rude people to me.Don't you dare spend another minute worrying about jerks like that!!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #35 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Why did they wait until a few days before to order it?

My guess is that they didn't...they probably had the same thing happen with the previous poor cake decorator (or even decorators!) who called with a question about the birthday cake.

Or even more likely, they have pissed off every cake decorator they have worked with in the past and you were next on their list!

The saddest thing about this whole story is that there is a 17-year-old girl who is being spoiled rotten by her awful parents, and she isn't going to have a prayer when she is set loose in the real world!!!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #36 of 99

They can go kick rocks.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #37 of 99

Anyone who has ever given a surprise party or even gone to one knows that it requires all sorts of extra care and instructions and even then, so much can go wrong. How many people are actually surprised? It is very tough to pull off. And I think you have to be ready with all sorts of diversions when inevitable slips happen. And then you just roll with the punches.

Surprises are the responsibility of the one who wants to create a surprise. Right? And some people don't want anything to be their responsibility...except things that go perfectly.

Stuff like this happens all the time, in all sorts of lines of work. You learn to be more careful, but it still isn't your fault, you know? For example, working at an insurance agency, calling a customer to find out what deductibles she wanted on the new car that a dealership had just called to add to her policy.

"What car?"

Uh, that would be the car that your husband just bought for your birthday.

Ooops.

You can't possibly cover all the basis. That's why the surprise is the responsibility of the one who wants to create the surprise, knowing full well that it is VERY hard to pull off.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:19pm
post #38 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbear

The saddest thing about this whole story is that there is a 17-year-old girl who is being spoiled rotten by her awful parents, and she isn't going to have a prayer when she is set loose in the real world!!!!

I see a lot of those these days. I think that has a lot to do with the way things are going in the world and with the economy. Mom and Dad spoils them and gives them everything they want, then when they get into real life, they want the same, so they start running up CC debt because they still need their Coach purses and (I'm so not designer that I can't even insert another example here) but any who, they don't understand the value of working to get the things you want and expect them to be handed to you always.

Dad was a jerk. I hope he's not raising equally jerky kids, though I'm sure he is. Obviously pretentious in his big house to think it's okay to talk to you that way. And I agree with everyone else, this big important party that you overlooked the cake for. Yeah, he probably pissed off the person who originally was supposed to do the cake. Though I suppose it is a good lesson we can all learn from, ask if the party is a surprise. I'll add it to my list! Thanks! And I hate you had to deal with such an arrogant prick!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:22pm
post #39 of 99

I haven't read the replies yet, but it took them a year to plan the party, but ordered the cake a few days in advance? Mmmmhmmm.

It was her fault for not telling you it was a surprise. Brush it off.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #40 of 99

You were obviously dealing with an irrational person icon_mad.gif .

Unfortunately, there are a few of those we have to encounter in the business world icon_rolleyes.gif .

Just give your hubby a big ol' hug for standing up for you icon_biggrin.gif , then call your own family and have a big surprise party and serve up that fabulous mini-cooper cake! icon_wink.gif And whilst you are enjoying a yummy, fresh baked, mouthwatering cake, say a little prayer of thanks for all your blessings. thumbs_up.gif

Then think of this family cutting into a Walmart cake... icon_twisted.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #41 of 99

Dad is like a lot of parents I know unfortunately and this includes my brother. Sarah hit it on the head, somewhere along the way parents decided that they had to give their kids everything they ever wanted and then when they are out in the real world they can't or won't function. I have a friend whose husband works in NYC at a large stock firm. He said about 3 years ago they started having parents call in about the negative job reviews their kiddies were getting, said they needed to be talked to differently and that constructive criticism just wasn't the way to go. In fact about 18 months ago they brought in some woman who gave a workshop to the managers who hire the just out of college types on how to "deal with their special needs". They also have a special needs child with Down syndrome and he blurted out "how is being a spoiled brat a special needs problem?". She just looked at him and said he didn't understand the "unique challenges" of the "t-ball generation, where everyone always wins and everyone gets a trophy". I hope the daughter realizes that her life wasn't crushed by finding out a surprise party she probably knew about anyway because we all know that 17 y/o's can't keep secrets. Too bad her old man is a total jerk.
BTW it was a beautiful cake. I know your co-workers are enjoying it now!

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm
post #42 of 99

They have too much money and too much time!!!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #43 of 99

That is what some parents ??? do....teach their kids that it is always someone elses fault.

If the party was "in the planning for a year" it must have some size to it.....a sheet cake? I agree that her orginial order fell thru and your were only one good enough to help her out at the last minute.

You know you are right but it still hurts.....Don't bring yourself down to their level". Thank goodness we are not snobs like them.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #44 of 99

Oh my. Is this for real? :-O

So sorry. (Note to self: Hang up phone if I'm ever talked to this way.)

These parents have bigger problems than a spoiled surprise. icon_razz.gif

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #45 of 99

Spoiled mom + spoiled dad= VERY SPOILED CHILD!!!!!

Could you imagine how spoiled this whole family probably is? No respectable woman or man would speak to someone like that. I'm still sitting her wondering how someone could call and speak to someone like that even if you did let the cat out of the bag...which i'm not saying you did. How childish and stupid!!!

I'm not saying that the whole thing wouldn't bother me because it would but all I can say is if I were you I would thank God that you are not as self centered, spoiled and dumb as they are.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #46 of 99

With an attitude and mouth like that I would be willing to bet they had ordered the cake before. Dad went off and they lost their decorator. I have to agree, he started cursing, I would have hung up on him.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #47 of 99

I know some very nice rich people and I know a lot who are total a****. I taught summer school at a school where the parents were predominantly upper class... that was the worst experience of my life. The parents and kids think they are better than you and how dare you.... fill in the blank.

#1 it is their fault
#2 you were doing them a favor
#3 I would still send them a bill for the cake! They ordered it, there was NO stipulation about it being a surprise party, they left you a phone number to call.
#4 They are lying through their teeth about a lot of things. I see this a lot as a teacher.
#5 Could you sue them for slander? If they are bad mouthing you and you find out about it... you did not ruin the party, they were waiting until the last minute. Clearly if it was THAT important they would have ordered sooner.

Send them a bill, what do you have to lose? Explain on the bill that you are sorry they felt the surprise was ruined but that this was NEVER mentioned at the time of ordering and they had left you a number to call, so it must have been an acceptable number to utilize. They ordered the cake, there was nothing wrong with the cake and you were going out of your way to be KIND. You are sorry they took your gestures of kindness the wrong way... but they owe you $x for the cake.

Ironbaker Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:47pm
post #48 of 99

Also...this is the main reason why I can't stand that MTV show "My Sweet 16" - mostly, a bunch of spoiled brats with spoiled, ridiculous parents. I've watched a few cause it can be entertaining but then I can't stomach it anymore.

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #49 of 99

Just beacuse they have money, doesn't mean they have any class.

Jo

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:06pm
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

I have never heard of a Suprise Bridal shower. I mean you know if your getting married right? icon_confused.gif

it means that you don't know exactly when the shower is. a friend invites you over to watch some old videos and SURPRISE! all your friends and family are there with gifts.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #51 of 99

I'm always amazed that anyone has the nerve to be so nasty. It sounds like you stayed professional throughout the whole thing, which is about the best thing you could've done.

I also totally agree: What 17-year-old would be surprised if a baker calls about a cake before her birth date, regardless of whether she's expecting a "surprise" party...duh--obviously she's expecting SOME kind of celebration, and yes, probably... a CAKE!

It would be nice to tell someone like that, "No, I didn't ruin it; YOU've ruined a 17-year-old's birthday, because now she won't have a cake." I wouldn't deliver that cake if they paid me a million dollars AND apologized...

Have a cake and a smile. Some people have to belittle everyone around them to feel important. Sorry this happened to you!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:07pm
post #52 of 99

Totally agree with everyone else. They are obviously used to getting EVERYthing their way ALL the time... and when that doesn't happen, they throw a hissy fit. I would venture to guess that they had a cake planned and things fell through with the decorator (big surprise there, eh?).

On a side note:

IronBaker.... I cannot believe what happens on that MTV show. My husband hates that show and everything about it. I watch it just to be reminded of how incredibly shallow people can be. I can't get over how spoiled the kids on that show are and how the parents are such enablers.

If I ever won the lottery or suddenly became a multi-millionaire, my biggest joy would be giving gifts to people.....the kids on that show are so self-centered and shallow, I'd be surprised if they ever gave a gift to anyone or volunteered anywhere to help anyone.

They get so bratty over their lavish sweet 16 parties, and when there is one glitch over something silly (**remind you of the whole reason for this thread..) they freak out. I know they can't choose the fact that their parents are loaded, but the attitude that these kids have is amazing, and that belittling, I'm-better-than-all-you-poor-people attitude needs some serious readjustment.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

Dad is like a lot of parents I know unfortunately and this includes my brother. Sarah hit it on the head, somewhere along the way parents decided that they had to give their kids everything they ever wanted and then when they are out in the real world they can't or won't function. I have a friend whose husband works in NYC at a large stock firm. He said about 3 years ago they started having parents call in about the negative job reviews their kiddies were getting, said they needed to be talked to differently and that constructive criticism just wasn't the way to go. In fact about 18 months ago they brought in some woman who gave a workshop to the managers who hire the just out of college types on how to "deal with their special needs". They also have a special needs child with Down syndrome and he blurted out "how is being a spoiled brat a special needs problem?". She just looked at him and said he didn't understand the "unique challenges" of the "t-ball generation, where everyone always wins and everyone gets a trophy". I hope the daughter realizes that her life wasn't crushed by finding out a surprise party she probably knew about anyway because we all know that 17 y/o's can't keep secrets. Too bad her old man is a total jerk.
BTW it was a beautiful cake. I know your co-workers are enjoying it now!

Here is a great video for you all to watch.
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3486473n

This is my generation (i'm 22) and I know so many people that are like this it is ridiculous. I was raised on a farm and what a WORLD away from that I am. Can you say teach your children responsibility?

OP - I cannot believe. He's off his meds.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #54 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

I have never heard of a Suprise Bridal shower. I mean you know if your getting married right? icon_confused.gif

it means that you don't know exactly when the shower is. a friend invites you over to watch some old videos and SURPRISE! all your friends and family are there with gifts.

OK, I admit it......I HATE SURPRISES! But, I would especially hate a suprise that had me the center of attention!

To the Op, just wait till this sweet princess needs a wedding cake in a few years! You might want to right their names down for future reference! icon_wink.gif

Ironbaker Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:04pm
post #55 of 99

LOL Oh gosh yes, write their names down now so you remember when the wedding cake comes up later down the road.

Itsmylife - grrrrr, I know!! That show is just amazing sometimes. I'll sit there with my mouth open and wonder "do these people exist? Really?" I could take every one of them over my knee...parents too. It's all mememe. I can understand wanting a nice celebration and splurging for your kid is totally fine but oh my word. What I find amusing is that they invite nearly the entire school and then you can tell not everyone there is there because they actually like them...they're there for MTV! icon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #56 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi1207

I'm sure the daughter could have cared less.......besides I'm sure the real suprise was the car anyway.

They're just mad at themselves for not only poor planning but poor communication.

That was the first thing I thought of. Hmmmm....cake.....car? Well if I don't get a cake for my birthday, but I get a car, I'm sure not going to be complaining that my party was ruined!!!!

Nope, you didn't do a darned thing wrong. They did. As someone's signature line states: poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!

Edited to add: Not for nothing, even without a party many people have a cake on their birthday. How is finding out that a cake was ordered for or around your birthday time ruining a surprise party anyway?? icon_confused.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #57 of 99

They're mad at themselves for not telling you it was a surprise. Why in the HECK would you WANT to ruin a surprise party for anyone? Let alone a new customer. How dumb on their part. What jerks! People tend to exaggerate when they've done something wrong - so, the party they planned took a year is what they told you, but it was probably only a month... and the cake wasn't even thought of until the last minute? They both sound insane to me. Sorry that happened!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:45pm
post #58 of 99

Yeah the planning started what after her big ole 16 party last year, which I'm sure she had.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #59 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinas27

Here is a great video for you all to watch.
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3486473n

This is my generation (i'm 22) and I know so many people that are like this it is ridiculous. I was raised on a farm and what a WORLD away from that I am. Can you say teach your children responsibility?

OP - I cannot believe. He's off his meds.

I watched this laughing, its so true! People our age (I am 22 as well) really never had to do anything. If I failed a test in school my parents told me I failed. They didnt go talk to the teacher or blame anyone but me because I was the one at fault, simple concept but a lot of people miss it.

Over all I LOVE the kids that grew up in the "you-have-never-done-anything-wrong-you-are-all-winners-and-you-can-have-anything-you-want" lifestyle because they make me look so good without even trying icon_smile.gif. You should see the looks I would get when I was 12-17 and said yes sir/no sir etc to adults. They about flipped. There are so many stuck up "kids" these days that it doesnt take much to impress people.

Alicia

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #60 of 99

What in the world? Have they never gotten her a cake for her birthday before? Why was that the biggest surprise in the world? Why couldn't they just tell her they bought a cake for the family to have together and still keep the party a secret? They are obviously rich morons. I'd try to let it go on that note. BTW, I looked at it in your photos and it is fabulous! You did an awesome job recreating a Cooper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%