First Wedding Cake Ahhhhh

Decorating By melz138 Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm by pottedmeatchunks

melz138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melz138 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 4

Im pretty new at making cakes and not too good at some things. A co worker has asked me to make her wedding cake AHHHH. She said she understands I have never done one before but she knows Ill do a great job. She would like a square cake and a light green theme as her dress is all white and her soon to be hubby is in his army gear. This is kinda a quicky wedding as the hubby is being deployed to iraq. She needs it to feed 100 people. Can anyone help me with sizing and stuff for 100 people, how big should it be that Im not good at. And with any ideas that would be great. Thanks

3 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 4

Here is the Wilton serving guide. That is what I use. You won't get exactly 100, but usually I would go with the lower number, because not everyone shows and not everyone eats cake. Hope this helps.

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/wedding_2inch.cfm

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 4

My first (and thus far only) wedding cake was for my son's wedding. My sister helped with this. We got together one weekend and made a practice cake, which was a big help. My DIL wanted a 3-tier cake, so we didn't even consider the number of servings. We also made a large groom's cake. Lots of people said "no thanks" to cake so we had plenty!

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 4

Definitely the best advise I can give is to do a practice cake!! It will ease your nerves during the making of the actual cake, will probably not take as long (learning curve is great!) and most likely will look better the 2nd time around thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%