Luster Dust Help

Decorating By my2rys Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 12:47am by gscout73

my2rys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2rys Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:44am
post #1 of 14

I am trying to paint white chocolate seashells with luster dust and need help. I have tried with water and without, problems like streaks and not consist coloring. Any ideas? I have seen some beautiful seashells on here - wondering what to do. THANKS!

13 replies
Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:59am
post #2 of 14

My understanding is you never use water. You need to use rum, vodka or gin.

I 've made seashells using luster dust and they came out beautiful

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:09am
post #3 of 14

I dry-dusted the chocolate shells on the seashell retirement cake in my gallery. I just brushed the dry luster dust onto the chocolate shells, using a soft brush.

For a more intense shine, I have mixed luster dust with vodka or lemon extract. Sometimes, you need to do this a second time for a more even application.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:20am
post #4 of 14

I've done a ton of chocolate shells and other molded chocolate items and I always dry-dust as well.
The only time I get streaks is when the chocolates are fresh out of the fridge/freezer and condensation causes it. Water and chocolate do not get along well.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 14

I dry dust as soon as they are made. It seems to help the dust adhere better.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 14

I also dry dust chocolate!

my2rys Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 14

Do you use multiple colors of luster dust to acheive that realistic look or are some painted? If painted any suggestions? THANKS again for all the help.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 14

I used multiple colors of chocolate (marbled) and just one color of luster dust.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:25am
post #9 of 14

Idry dusted and painted with vodka. But mine were thin fondant shells. Went for realism. Hee are some of mine:
LL

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:21am
post #10 of 14

I usually dry dust the inside of the molds before pouring the chocolate in... it looks really nice. You can then touch up anywhere necessary, but I don't usually need to.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #11 of 14

gscout73, those seashells are amazing! Goal accomplished....they look real! icon_eek.gif

I have dry dusted mine also. I didn't know you could use the paint version on chocolate, now i'm going to have to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #12 of 14

I usually dry dust with a cheap foam brush unless I want deep colors, then I use a little vodka (some for the luster dust too, lol!)

my2rys Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 14

I have got so many great ideas and techniques - THANK YOU. Gscout I love your shells i printed them to use as a guide. I will try painting the luster dust before and after. I will need to experiment some now......

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:47am
post #14 of 14

Glad I could help. I used soft paint brushes and some of the stripes were dry dusted, some painted, and on some, the stripes were alternated with dry/wet, and on some of the painted areas, and all of the white areas are lightly dusted with super pearl.

Oh, The fine black stripes on the spirals were done with food markers. I used 8 diff colors ranging from copper to sand to white and super pearl, including peach and carnation. It took a little time, but the time investment paid off. Many people weren't eating them thinking I put real shells on the cake. lol dunce.gif

Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%