Which Fondant Mat Do You Use?

Decorating By ZAKIA6 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm by ZAKIA6

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #1 of 15

Im going to be ordering a fondant work mat this week and i noticed that ateco has two, one is just plain blue and one is blue/tan with measurements on it.

http://www.intotheoven.com/Cake-Essentials-Tools/c46_114/index.html

Does anyone tried these, if so which do you prefer
LL
LL

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:26am
post #2 of 15

I haven't tried either of them, but the one with the measurements would probably be useful, especially if you like to make fondant bows, or other decorations that need to be all the same length.

I have a couple of plain silicone mats that I bought at Walmart ($10 for both). Fondant will still stick to silicone unless the silicone has crisco or corn starch or powdered sugar on it. When I'm rolling out cake coverings, I use the wilton dividing wheel because it has the circles printed on it, and it works as well as the silicone mats I have. It's only limitation is that it's not big enough to roll a covering for a really big cake.

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:19pm
post #3 of 15

thanks.
i threw my wilton roll n cut away. it was always curled up and wrinkled.

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 15

I've got one of these similar only from a different company. I don't use mine to roll fondant because the mat doesn't stick to my table or counter very well . . .meaning if I take my rolling pin and push on the fondant to roll it out, the mat moves with my push . . . so I just roll it out on a clean bare table.

ZAKIA6 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 15

i wish i could just use my table, but my table top is tiled so it wouldnt give me flat smooth finish.
i think im going to go with the mat with the measurements.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 15

i have the plain blue one and i love it.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 7:13am
post #7 of 15

I'm the same as Sugarshack. I have the plain blue one. Just check that you have a surface large enough to put it on. It's huge! icon_surprised.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 15

I use the blue one for larger cakes, but have the same issue with the mat moving around on the countertop (anyone have a good solution for this?). Its great to use because you can just flip it over the cake so no fondant stretching.

For small cakes I love my silpat (nothing sticks to it and it stays put on the counter).

ZAKIA6 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 15

thanks!
i have a large table but the surface is textured. do you think that if i roll the fondant on the table using the mat that the texture will still show thru?
it the mat thick?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 15

I bought some vinyl from Wal-Mart for $3 and it works great. I just mist the counter top before I lay it down and it stays put pretty well.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:23pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKIA6

thanks!
i have a large table but the surface is textured. do you think that if i roll the fondant on the table using the mat that the texture will still show thru?
it the mat thick?

The mat is quite thin. I think your texture would show through (once I had a few crumbs on the backside of the mat and the 'bumps' showed through).

Like the idea of misting the countertop - thanks Tracycakes!

Juny1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juny1980 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 15

Hi Zakia6, I bought the plain blue mat and it works great! I bought it shortly after buying SugarShacks videos. I saw how easy it was for her to roll out the fondant and drape over her cake...since then I became an Ateco fan! Enjoy your mat!!!

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #13 of 15

! very exciting post for me ! This weekend I just tried a new idea: a fabric store cutting board for quilting, along with the rotary cutter.
W O W. Too incredible! Fiskars 24" x 36" (non folding, so completely smooth) is large enough for any of my home cake needs and the rotary cutter - omg what a dif from my fondant tools or even pizza cutter - cuts were razor accurate and no fuzzies left behind. Grids mark the entire sheet so you know *exactly* how large your piece is.I thoroughly washed, then bleach wiped it first. It is not flexible like the mats you're considering, but I like that, actually. I figure I can roll up the large pieces on my long rolling pin anyway, and I like that it's so stable. I placed two sticky shelf liner things under it to keep it from sliding on my table.

It did a great job - I'm so pleased!
I swear, one of my passions is finding unusual things for different purposes - I'm a re-purposing queen LOL icon_biggrin.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 15

I use a self healing quilters mat as well. Mine is huge. It covers my entire tiled island. It's 57x36...I think....but I love it!!! And it does have the measurements on it, so it's very handy! I think I paid $65 for it at JoAnn's.

ZAKIA6 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #15 of 15

lizamlin - that sounds great. i will have to look into it next time im in micheals/wmt icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%