How Would You Feel About This? "borrowed" Pics

Business By luelue1971 Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm by FromScratch

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 16

I have compiled a nice collections of photos in my hard drive that I refer to when someone wants some specific design. These are cakes I have saved in hopes of having an opportunity to make them at some point in time.

My question for you is How would you feel about your pictures being put on my website just to give people other ideas of what could be done.

I was thinking of having a section labeled "other ideas for cakes" and then the header of the page would say something like "these are cakes made of some very talented cake decorators and are very inspirational to me. I could make you a cake similar to any of these."

I would of course be happy to give credit where due but I haven't any idea where some of them come from.

I certainly don't want to step on any toes or "steal" anything from anyone. But I'm tired of making the same cakes because those are the only ones people see on my site. Usually I end up having to email them these pictures anyway and that would save me a step.

Please let me know how you would feel about this?[/code]

15 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 16

This has been asked a few times before, and I believe each time the consensus was that it was ok to borrow with credit given, but that an email or pm must first be sent to ask permission from the decorator whose picture you would like to post.

HTH icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 16

Or you could just post links to other decorators' websites.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 16

If I find a picture of mine on someone's website it makes my blood boil and MANY feel the same way. Not only that. but it's not legal to use photos without the permission of the person who took them. I think you'd be better off just filling up your galleries with cakes and offering ideas to clients who need them. Personally I wouldn't want anyone else's work on my site.. even if I truely loved it.

luelue1971 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #5 of 16

Just an idea. Thanks for the input.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:50am
post #6 of 16

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as far as I'm concerned! Go for it!!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:52am
post #7 of 16

I don't think it's a good idea. I would be so mad if one of my pics were on someone else's web site. And you said that you have no idea where you got some of them, so how would you give that decorator credit?

You could always make a bunch of different dummy cakes to put on your website - that's what I had to do when I didn't have much of a selection.

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 4:54am
post #8 of 16

I am not good enough to have any of my pics stolen... but I think that if you borrowed a picture, and gave credit for it or linked to a website that shouldn't be a big deal. Aren't we all here to learn and be inspired? DO we have to stop being helpful once we log off of Cake Central? Please take any of my pictures that you want. If I didn't want them out there, then I wouldn't post them. Nothing against any of you who think the opposite of me... it's just my free spirited, give the shirt off my back, democratic nature..lol icon_smile.gif Who knows, I would probably think differently if I found one of my cakes on someone else's site!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:03am
post #9 of 16

I think that for the pictures you have and don't know where they came from, I wouldn't repost them anywhere.

But, if you found one on this site, for example, emailed the person who's picture it is and they agree to let you post it, then it shouldn't be a problem as long as that person is credited for their work.

If they don't want it posted, it doesn't get posted.... if they are ok with it, and the photo is clearly marked as belonging to or courtesy of XXXXXXXX, then you have written permission to use that photo via the email or pm.

I would also provide the person who's picture you are using a copy of the link to your site so that they have access to it too.

JMHO!
Denise

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #10 of 16

I'm so tired of the negativity on this website and try to look for the positive, but it's getting harder and harder icon_cry.gif .
Anyways, back to the subject, even IF I made cakes worth "borrowing" the pictures of, I wouldn't mind provided I was asked first. I think I would be flattered and say yes. After getting the ok, you could put it on your website with the creators name so as they get the credit, if you should ever replicate it then you can replace it with your own picture of your own cake icon_lol.gif . And if someone doesn't want their cake picture used then they would simply say no thank you icon_wink.gif . I also like the idea someone posted about directing customers to websites that could help them thumbs_up.gif . Good luck!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #11 of 16

I think if you ask and get the O.K. then that is alright. I agree with Jeanne, I wouldn't want someone else's cake on my website. Why not get cake dummies and make your own version of the cakes you love. That way you can put your own signature on it.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #12 of 16

i wouldnt mind as long as i was asked. i have a file on my computer that i label ideas... i have everythng in there from floral arrangements to hair styles to ckaes to table decor, paintings... anything that i see and i like and that i think can inspire something.. then what i have done is sat and sketched out some designs and whenever i have time i pick one out and make a dummy... that is how i ended up with 6 dummies...

but feel free to borrow any of my pics... just pm me and let me know...

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:47am
post #13 of 16

There's always such a fuss where 'borrowing' pictures is concerned. I wouldn't use anything that you had not gained permission for. Why not PM the parties involved? If you can't remember where it came from, don't use it I reckon... That's just my thoughts.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 11:52am
post #14 of 16

I've actually given my ok for one of my pics to be used on another site, and the person credits me with the cake. With proper credit and with the ok from the original cake maker, and an agreement between the two parties, I dont' see the problem.

The problem is when a photo is lifted and used in a way that makes it appear that the cake was made by the website owner .... when it wasn't.

luelue1971 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #15 of 16

I would NEVER take credit for someone else's work. Please understand that. It was simply and idea to save me time of emailing ideas to people interested in a cake that I haven't done before.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 16

I totally understand what you are saying.. and believe me.. I commend you for taking the proper roads to do it. BUT.. I just hate to see you get jumped on (as has happened so many times before) if someone came across your site and didn't understand what you were doing.

Like I said before.. I personally would never want work on my site that wasn't mine. Even if it's clearly marked as not mine. I have emailed people links to other cakes for ideas, but mostly I just sketch something out for them. Avoid the drama.. stick to e-mailing.. that's what I'd do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%