Wire Cake Topper

Decorating By prettycakes Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm by prettycakes

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 6

with Crystals... I can not get them to stay in position. They keep floating around in their picks. I put fondant as a glue, but it is not working. Lindy Smith uses floral oasis, but I am thinking this is not food safe. I am getting desperate. I have to deliver the cake at 2:00.

Why do they sell these cake toppers to brides and then not give directions on how to use them in the cake?

5 replies
prettycakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe someone can suggest a site to look on for directions? Please...

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 6

This is a purchased topper with ?acrylic crystals, not one made of gumpaste? What are the picks made of?
Okay, so I re-read the topic, and wire picks icon_rolleyes.gif
This may me too late to help, but can you take tiny, thin pieces of scotch tape and wrap the wire under the crystals so they won't slide? Or how about a drop of hot glue?
HTH and isn't too late.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 6

I'm not sure what you're describing, but I've had problems with wires swinging and spinning in their straws and here's how I've solved it. Wrap the wire with floral tape, then insert into straw filled with fondant. The fondant sticks to the tape better than bare wire. Hope this helps!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 6

I made my own 60 cake topper with plastic beads. I had to use a tiny bit of hot glue when i was in a curve. It worked great because my beads were clear and it blended with the glue.

prettycakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the replies. I used hot glue in the floral picks and it worked great. I tried to get some good pictures of the cake and topper, but I don't think it does any justice. The topper is very elegant, but can hardly be seen in any of the pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%