What Do I Do????

Decorating By veronica970206 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm by veronica970206

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 12

I am covering an 8 inch cake with fondant and EVERY time (10 times now) I go to place the fonant over it, it just starts ripping and falling off, does anyone know what I should do??? Thanks so much, Veronica

11 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #2 of 12

You need to roll the fondant thicker. Don't be afraid to roll a good amount out. It will not tear as easy.

Stephanie

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 12

If your kitchen or fondant is really warm, it will cause this to happen as well. Sometimes I'll roll mine out and let it firm up a bit and cool down before I move it to the cake.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 12

Is it too dry? Too much PS? Try adding some Crisco.

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #5 of 12

Thicker.... don't skimp on the fondant...

veronica970206 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 11:46am
post #6 of 12

Could it rip if there is not enough BC? My husband thinks I did not coat it enough with BC, it did crust up very well, but I am just not sure. I think I rolled the fondant out to be about the width of a crepe, which is usually how I roll it out and never had problems before. I will try thicker and also try my Husband's idea on the BC. I will let you all know what happens. Thanks so much, you are all fantastic!!!! Veronica

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 12

I don't think it's the buttercream - I've used thin layers of buttercream and thick layers under fondant and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

It's probably your fondant. Try rolling it thicker - you may need to knead some more crisco or 10x sugar into it as well.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 12

What brand of fondant are you using? I had that problem with Choco-Pan... (I know everyone else loves ChocoPan but I had a really hard time with it!)

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 12

I had this same problem last week, I took the fondant off the cake, and kneaded some ps and shortening into it and it was fine after that. I remember thinking to myself that the fondant must have been dry if it was cracking and tearing. I added shortening first and this did not seem to help, so I added the ps and that did it. I had no more problems with it after that.

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 12

I have only had that problem when my fondant hasn't had time to rest. I always make my own and I try to make it at least 24 hours in advance, but I find 48 hours is better.
I also warm it up in the microwave a bit so that it is easier to knead and roll out. If it's in the microwave too long, it will also tear.
HTH.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 12

I find if it's too humid, it tears for me. I was making a wedding cake once and it kept tearing. I decided to take a break and went and turned the A/C on, came back 2 hours later and it worked just fine.

Since then, I've not had a problem as long as the A/C is on if it's humid out.

veronica970206 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 12

So get this, last night I kept trying and trying to cover that cake, and I got no where pretty fast. So I said you know what, I will have time tomorrow morning I will cover it then, plus I was super tired from running errands all day, baking, cooking and cleaning and chasing my 3 kids around playing and stuff like that. So I got up early this morning 5-ish, gave it another thin coat of BC, rolled out the fondant, covered it and all was great, THEN I walked away and saw that it was starting to make these little holes on the side of the cake, so I took it all off, threw the fondant away, and just took the cupcakes that I made earlier to the potluck for the awards ceremony at the Lilttle League field, and that was the end of it. I wasn't mad at all, I just did not understand what was going on. I think I need to learn how to make it, OR buy better fondant. Where I am located I cannot get the Satin Ice Fondant anywhere, so I just buy the Wilton and no one eats it but, I like to practice with it, and do lots of the flowers and stuff with it. I tried making MMF before and it would not stretch at all, so now my new mission is to try to find really good fondant via online that is a decent price OR find an awesome recipe that is easy to follow and reliable. Anyone has any ideas, I would REALLY appreciate it. You all are the best!!!

Sincerely,
Veronica

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%