Rookie!... Candy Help Please!

Decorating By chellebell70 Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 4:34am by chellebell70

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #1 of 4

I would like to make some candy in molds for this firefighters retirement cake I am doing...... Can you color the white candy quick product with regular cake colors or do you have to have something special? Or is it best just to go busy those little wafers?

Next - I would like to highlight the raised areas with gold. How do I do that? Do you have to mix some vanilla with something to make a paste or do you put something right in the mold?

Newby at candy molding....any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 replies
kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #2 of 4

My experience has been that you have to use the candy colors - the cake colors are water based and will cause the candy melts to seize. If you don't have the candy colors, it might be just as easy to get the colored melts.

I think for your gold, you could paint your molded candies with gold luster dust mixed with either vodka or lemon extract (just enough to make the desired painting consistency).

HTH,

Karen

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:46am
post #3 of 4

I had a candy business for years and always used the colored candy melts. However, I have used some food coloring in the white....but added a little at a time very, very slowly. I used some wilton colors and the americolors. I'd suggest painting the gold on after you make the pieces, don't put it in the mold, very messy otherwise. Try the luster dust like Karen mentioned. HTH!

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:34am
post #4 of 4

Thanks to the two of you for your advise. I did try Wilton cake colors - it did sieze the choc quickly. Then I tried gel color. It was better but still not right. I was just trying to use what I had here instead of running back to the store. But I may go get the candy wafers tomorrow. I will wait to look at the cake in the morning and see how I feel about it. Tired of looking at it tonight!!!!!!!!! Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%