"your Wedding Cake May Be Cancelled" Email - Is It

Business By ccr03 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm by cakedout

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 28

Yeah, it's kind-of long, but can you guys read this and see if it sounds okay??? THANKS!!!!

----

Good morning bride!

I called you last night at approximately 8:05PM, but was only able to get your voicemail. I needed to follow-up on the email I sent you Monday.

As I stated in my previous email, I have yet to receive your deposit or any type of payment for your August 2, 2008 wedding cake. The deposit of $127.50 was due upon receipt of the contract, which I emailed and mailed on July 2, 2008, with the remaining balance due by Friday, July 25, 2008. As I have not received any sort of payment, the full payment of $360 is now due by tomorrow, Friday, July 25, 2008. Since it would be too late to put it in the mail, I can make arrangements to meet you.

If I do not recieved payment by Friday, July 25, 2008, I will be forced to cancel your order. My contract clearly states "The full amount of the cake balance is due on the date indicated previously. Failure to pay on time may result in your order being canceled. If your check bounces, you are responsible for all fees incurred by Kreaciones Kity and may have your order canceled. If your payment is not made by the date indicated above, YOUR ORDER WILL BE CANCELED. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE CAKE DUE TO PAYMENT FAILURE. IN SUCH CASES, DEPOSIT IS NONREFUNDABLE."

I understand this is a very busy time for you, however I am I can not move forward on your cake without payment. If you have decided to go with another baker, I fully understand, and ask that notify me so I can fully concentrate on my other orders.

Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon.

27 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 28

Sounds fine to me. Gets the point across clearly.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 28

I don't know...it's kind of lecture-y. I wouldn't even consider her a customer if I hadn't received a deposit. If I sent anything, it would be short and sweet:

Dear Bride:

Because I did not receive a deposit or booking confirmation from you after our consultation, I presume you have made other arrangements for your wedding cake. Best of wishes to you and your husband on your special day!

Thank you,
ccr03

When I was doing weddings, I always advised my brides that I would hold their date for one week past the consultation, and if no deposit was received I would assume they had booked elsewhere. It worked wonderfully and I never got to the point of being one week before the wedding and wondering if they wanted me or not. Hope this helps!!! icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 28

hmmm....thanks for the input.

I think I'll send her this and then Kelly's email if I don't hear back from her.

I would just hate for her to be without a cake - you know?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 28

There is a typo in the next to last paragraph. "I am I can not" you might want to fix before you send it.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 28

I agree with kelleym. A short, to the point email is more professional and unoffensive especially since she's made no payments to date.

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 28

I kind of agree with Kelly, hers is straight and to the point and lets her know your not making it since payment isnt made. I am an office manager and it kinda reminds me of the lecturing letters I send out letting them know their services are about to be cut if rent payment isnt made lol...

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

If I sent anything, it would be short and sweet:

Dear Bride:

Because I did not receive a deposit or booking confirmation from you after our consultation, I presume you have made other arrangements for your wedding cake. Best of wishes to you and your husband on your special day!

Thank you,
ccr03

I think that's perfect. The other email would kinda tick me off. I betcha anything she booked her cake elsewhere, so the short-and-sweet kiss-off email would be more appropriate. And if she is just holding out on paying for her cake, this one would be far more effective.

ccr03 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 28

urrgh! I just sent it! icon_cry.gif

I so wanted to be as professional and assertive as possible, but now I'm think I came off as a b*$&%! icon_cry.gif

Oh, and the ONLY reason I put the stuff in bold in because that's how it is in my contract. My sister said since that's how they've already read it, I should leave it as is.

MAN!!! Now I'm kind-of freakin' out!!!

Gosh, I hope she just went with another baker so I don't have to worry about it.

Dude, this sucks!!! Aug. 2 was supposed to be a GREAT weekend - do an awesome cake, go see my favorite band and now neither is happening!! icon_cry.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 28

ccro3.. don't stress one bride! If I do not get a deposit and full payment by the time stated, thats their loss. I do call them and tell them their order has been canceled, and wish them the best . One phone call, no emails. Then its gone and on with the next!

ccr03 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 28

THanks!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

ccro3.. don't stress one bride! If I do not get a deposit and full payment by the time stated, thats their loss. I do call them and tell them their order has been canceled, and wish them the best . One phone call, no emails. Then its gone and on with the next!

That's pretty much what I do except I DO do it via email so that it's in writing. If they don't care, I don't see why I should.

ccr03 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 28

Okay, so if I don't hear from her, should I call her back and confirm that the order is cancelled?

And indydebi, I oh-so value your opinion, so what do you think of the email? Was it okay? (Even though I already sent it - I would like to know for the future.)

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Okay, so if I don't hear from her, should I call her back and confirm that the order is cancelled?

And indydebi, I oh-so value your opinion, so what do you think of the email? Was it okay? (Even though I already sent it - I would like to know for the future.)

You already stated in your email that if the "payment is not made by the date indicated above" it's canceled, so don't follow up. Assume that she got the point and don't worry about it. If the bride had just responded, this wouldn't be an issue. icon_wink.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:

No! If you don't hear from her, it's done. Over. Finito. She doesn't want to contact you, so don't chase her.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:

No! If you don't hear from her, it's done. Over. Finito. She doesn't want to contact you, so don't chase her.

Agree. You're done. That's it. Over.

I sent one of these less than a month ago: "Due to lack of response and no payments rec'd, Cater It Simple considers this order canceled."

I never heard from her ..... I didn't show up. Had a great time at the other wedding I had scheduled that day where the bride was an adorable person and her family was just awesome! thumbs_up.gif (I even met a lady who decorates cake and invited her to visit us addicts here on CC!!)

ccr03 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #17 of 28

true, true.....

I need to not worry about it. I just can't see why people would be so rude as to not respond! icon_confused.gif

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #18 of 28

Here is an email that I sent last Friday for an 8/9/08 wedding. My DH helped me with the email (he is GREAT at being short, sweet and to the point) - he is my PR guy. icon_smile.gif

"Hi (Name),

I understand that planning a wedding can be very stressful and am sure you have a lot going on. My policy is that a 50% non-refundable deposit as well as a signed contract is required to secure your date, with the remaining amount due no later than 21 days from the event date. Since a deposit has not been made, Friday, July 18th by 7:00PM will be the last day that I can accept payment in the full amount of $332.50. If payment in full has not been secured by this date, I unfortunately will be unable to make your cake.

Please feel free to call or email with any questions; and am looking forward to hearing from you.

Karen"

She did read the email (I did a read receipt) but she never responded, never showed up to pay, nothing. I did not call or email to say "since I didn't get your deposit, etc." -- my initial email was enough. icon_smile.gif

I know you have already sent your email, but still wanted to reply to the post!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 28

I agree that if she hasn't contacted you, then she probably has made other arrangements, etc. HOWEVER, if she does get back to you 5 days before the wedding or whatever suddenly wanting you to make the cake, and if you are willing to do so, I would add at least $100 to cover the extra expense of having to make a seperate trip to get ingredients etc. Call it a late booking fee.

And don't worry about the letter. If you uncomfortable about it, then use the short version next time the situation occurs.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #20 of 28

I would just make sure she got the email. Like stated above, some email providers send 'read notice' so you know the mail was opened.
If not, I would send a snail mail stating 'your order has been cancelled, have a nice life, etc.'

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #21 of 28

I'm sorry this happened to you, but you have to remember this is out of your control. You did everything a good business person should do - the rest is up to the customer.
Look at it as a learning experience; the next time it happens (and it may happen again), it'll be easier to deal with.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #22 of 28

When I have to cancel they get a phone calle and an e-mail outlining what was said and that they will recieve a certified letter with a copy of the email in side just to cover the bases. That way no one can come back and say you didn't give me any notice.. well yeah I did.. and I have the paper trail to prove it.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:49pm
post #23 of 28

Your original e-mail was very long winded too. In the future remember to be short and sweet and to the point.. it gives them less to argue about and to get offended over. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #24 of 28

I would have sent KelleyM's message also. It really doesn't matter what your contract states...she never signed it. I will follow up once....I have to much to do than contact people who were never customers in the first place. When you sent her the contract and payment requirements and didn't recieve them back she obviously went a different route. It probably had nothing to do with you anyway...don't take it personally...it's business!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 6:05pm
post #25 of 28

Your last paragraph contains "...however I am I can not move..." Doesn't make sense. I would like to add that this is a VERY short timeframe! They cannot expect you to move forward if they haven't paid you - just forget about them unless they contact you. If they contact you after your deposit/payment is required, I would suggest raising the cost of the cake & only baking after receiving full payment in cash (this is what I had been advised to do after I took a 200-cupcake order with only 37.5hours to complete it - and I only charged them my regular base price... after-the-fact, I agree that I should have charged more).

It's so annoying when they don't at least advise they've chosen another Baker, isn't it?!! =)

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #26 of 28

I agree with the short and sweet email. But I also think a certified letter and a phone call is a must because you dont know if there are extrodinary circumstances as to why she didnt answer the email. Like her computer isnt working is one.
Atleast with a certified letter she has to sign for it and then you know for sure she got it.
It sounds like she found somenone else and doesnt have the kahones to let you know. So just move on. No money, no cake. No exceptions!

ccr03 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #27 of 28

thanks for all the input. I have heard ZERO from her - so I am no longer putting any effort into her.

She never returned my call/voicemail, so I'm not going to worry about it.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 5:38pm
post #28 of 28

good for you! Time to move on!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%