What's Stronger Than Floral Wire?

Decorating By sahoney79 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 3:29am by my2rys

sahoney79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahoney79 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to make a tiered cake that has curls of wire with flowers and such at the end but floral wire isn't going to work. I've seen it done at the Charm City site so I know that there's something that will do it. I'm sure I'll have to go to Home Depot, but I just want to know what I'm looking for. Also, the party is in three days so I can't order anything. I appreciate your time reading this and I'd be greatful for any advice!

Thanks and have a great day!
S

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 6

There are different guages of floral wire, maybe you just need a heavier guage.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 6

At Home Depot in the picture hanging supplies department you should be able to get a small roll of 14 gauge or 16 gauge wire.

I have not made a cake with the flowers or balls on the wire yet, but I would think those gauges of wire would be heavy enough to hold up.

HD may even carry something stronger -- (the lower the gauge number the heavier / stronger the wire is).

HTH

Suze

sahoney79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahoney79 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the replies! I'm down to the wire (pardon the pun) and this is a great help!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 6

If you're super-desperate (and it won't look too tacky) maybe you could use a white clothes hanger. Make sure to put a straw or something in your cake for whatever wire you use for support.

my2rys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my2rys Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 6

I have wanted to try this myself but wondered about the wire and support, would just straws hold enough? is there other options?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%