How Much Should I Have Charged?

Decorating By Bela38 Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm by kelleym

Bela38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bela38 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 11

For these cakes I charged $45 each. I know it was a bit low. Especially since the supplies, time, gas, etc. was up in the $30s for both together. I know that pricing varies from region to region, but if you have experience with pricing and you're from northeast PA bordering with NJ or western NJ, how much would you have charged? I'm new at this and what started to be just for friends and family is now extending to friends of friends, etc and I'm not sure what to charge.

2 tier cakes with fondant and gum paste decorations
LL
LL

10 replies
Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not sure it matters where you live... probably double what it costs you would have a better price, so about $60 each minimum.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 11

I don't know what the going rates are where I am (Ottawa Canada), and I don't think I could get it for what you made, but easily $75 each. They are gorgeous!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 11

Are those 6"&10" tiers?
I charge per serving, and a 6" & 10" serve 40 according to my chart.
So at $3.50 per serving , plus the cost of the topper , and a delivery fee the total would be about $160.
HTH!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 11

I am in agreement with yourstrulytx. $160 fits the price. Great work by the way!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 11

yourstrulytx, where can I find a chart showing how many servings for each cake?

CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 11

I use the chart on Earlene's site
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

You can also look at Wiltons chart but their servings are a bit smaller,
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the charts. =)
Question: so on column C where it shows the servings, is it for single layer or double layer cake?

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 11

My business has also extended to friends of friends, so I had to come up with a base price. For a standard 8 or 9" or 1/4 sheet cake, my minimum is $45.00. Extra tiers start at $10.00 and the price goes up slightly for fondant, specialty decorations, etc. I don't mind doing it, because to me, every cake is more practice icon_biggrin.gif
I live in FL, where you can't advertise or run a "home business" with contracts or anything, so I don't deliver and I am very up front about how and where I make my cakes.
I have had no complaints, people seem to enjoy them and they taste good, so I don't think twice about charging more than Publix or Wal-Mart, since really...what we are making are truly specialty custom cakes icon_lol.gif
You're cakes are beautiful and definately worth what you charged - and then some!

CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 11

Good question, I read the description and it does'nt say, I've always assumed it was 2 layer though?
Does anyone else know?
I know a lot of people use her chart, I learned about it here on CC.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by junny629

Thanks for the charts. =)
Question: so on column C where it shows the servings, is it for single layer or double layer cake?

It is for the standard 2-layer 4" tall cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%