Satin Ice Info.

Baking By Peeg Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm by lorrieg

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 10:52am
post #1 of 7

I purchased a lot of Satin Ice fondant. I love the taste.The problem is that it is so soft. I put some on cookies and it was hard to frill. Can I add something to it, to give it more body ? Can you eat gumpaste and can I add this to Satin Ice? Or what can I add? Thanks Everyone.

6 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:16am
post #2 of 7

I'm watching this also to see replies, I just ordered my first Satin Ice due to come today. I'm curious to see how well it's able to be worked with. I have to do a big red bow on a cake. Good luck to you and me. icon_biggrin.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:16am
post #3 of 7

Have you tried adding more PS? I LOVE the stuff! Until my sis bought be some I was making my own.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 11:19am
post #4 of 7

It's too soft or something for me. I posted in the Global Sugar Arts forum yesterday with a couple of questions but so far, no replies. icon_sad.gif

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 7

I purchase the small 5 & 10 pound buckets of Satin Ice all the time and I've never had a problem with it being too soft. Is the weather really hot where you are? If anything, my Satin Ice is rock hard when I remove it from the bucket. I've even zapped it in the microwave for a few seconds to get it more pliable. Mine isn't dry, it just needs some kneading to get it soft enough to roll it out. The powdered sugar idea that someone already mentioned might work. If your fondant is a dark color, the powdered sugar appears to be really messy at first but it wisks away easily and won't mar the color. It makes the fondant much easier and less sticky to work with. I've never tried to flute the edges of my fondant so I'm not sure if the powdered sugar will help with that but it's worth a try. But I agree about the taste - it's actually pretty good. A LOT better than Wilton fondant.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 7

I just did some wedding cake cookies with Satin Ice Fondant flowers and it is so dawg gone humid here that it was pretty soft. I just added some PS until it was a workable consistency.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 7

It's hot AND humid and maybe that's my problem. I'll try adding PS, that may help.

I just ordered some of Geraldine Randlesome(sp?) from Creative Cutters sugarpaste and gum paste to try. It came in less than 24 hours so tomorrow it gets a workout!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%