Color Mist?

Decorating By clarasmommy Updated 28 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm by brandiwyne

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #1 of 22

I've been looking on the Wilton site, and saw the color mist. It's supposed to be like airbrush in a can, and I was just wondering if anyone has ever used it, and if it's even worth me purchasing. I'm new, and don't decorate a lot. I can't afford to get a real airbrush machine or anything, so I was just wondering if this would work..
Thanks!
Tammy

21 replies
CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #2 of 22

It is not like airbrushing with a real machine but the can's work if you just want to add some color to things. You can get them for about 3.50 per can.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #3 of 22

It is not like airbrushing with a real machine but the can's work if you just want to add some color to things. You can get them for about 3.50 per can.

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 22

I just got one in black and I sprayed it lightly over a BC covered cake to test. It just kind of pooled and drooled down side of cake. Didn't really cover very well. Maybe I did something wrong... anyone else use these?

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:23am
post #5 of 22

I use them, but I've only had great luck with colors OTHER than black. Though I think the black I bought may have been expired or something, it came out pretty gray. I used it on the body of my penguin cake in my gallery. I used their orange and red on my dog in a pumpkin suit in my avatar, and the blue and green on my surfer cake in my gallery. You have to have kind of a light touch (practice on a paper towel before spraying on the cake!), and the results aren't "professional airbrush" quality, but you can get some neat looking stuff! Just keep the nozzles clean so they don't spatter too much! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd say for the $2-$4 they cost, it's worth at least trying! Good luck!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:23am
post #6 of 22

I used it recently for the very first time...didnt know what I was doing but go look at my spiderman cake...it used it as a blue sky...not alot I was scared of ruining the cake I had already...wasnt too bad....

just hold at a distance, and spray lightly and move can according to what you want ...like putting on hair spray you move the can up and down. dont hold it close it will make large splotchy dots that run.

hope this helps, best way I can explain it ...sorry.

clarasmommy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 22

Thank you all so much!

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 22

I used the black color mist on the batman cake in my pics! I will definately say that it's an interesting product to use. DON'T get it too close to the cake, it tends to drip and pool. I used the entire can of black on a white buttercream frosted cake. . . . . and it was more brown/gray. It was for a night sky, so it worked fine for what I needed. I didn't notice any funky taste either. Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 22

I've used them but just to add color to roses and other flowers. Its a three buck can.....you get three buck's worth of effect.

Definitely not an airbrush substitute!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #10 of 22

They're not my favorite, but until i get an airbrush they'll do. The key is alot of light coats, like spraypainting. And even so, they tend to sputter and spurt. If you spray too much in one area, they'll drip and run.

If you use them, be forewarned - the overspray goes EVERYWHERE!!!

clarasmommy Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #11 of 22

Thanks a ton!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #12 of 22

They are not my fav either. But they are convenient but u have to spray far away from the cake otherwise u get splotches of color on the cake.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 5:00am
post #13 of 22

I saw one comment about taste. Anyone else noticed anything about the taste of these? I thought they gave my buttercream a minty taste. It actually tasted kind of good but not quite what I was going for icon_confused.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:00pm
post #14 of 22

Oh ya - forgot about the taste. If you use alot, you'll notice it.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 22

I also noticed a minty flavor when I used the pink and purple. The look was what I wanted but the taste was ick!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 22

I used some on a golf themed cake (trying to get a green cake top without piping grass). I found I had to spray a lot to get decent coverage, and it did pool in areas. Plus, despite very careful spraying, it ran down the white sides of the cake (which I had wanted to keep white!), so it is a bit tough to control. The thing I least expected was that I was wiping green residue off my kitchen island for months. Even when I cleaned it really thoroughly over and over, still some green would show up from time to time for a very long time after I used the spray. I'd recommend covering the surface you want to spray the cake on.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 22

I've used it a few times....sky on my Littlest Pet Shop cake, water on my Nemo cake and sunset on my Justice League cake. It's not that difficult to use, you just have to keep a good enough distance to avoid the spattering/pooling. I have to agree with the overspray, it goes everywhere! My kitchen table was covered. And to me the smell made it very hard to breath, not sure how to describe it, but it was very strong. I did not notice a taste though.

I'm hoping to get an airbrush for Christmas icon_biggrin.gif .

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #18 of 22

I use them alot for background affects. My Backyardigan cake and my sports ball cake are two that I have in my photos that I used it with. I like the way the look. Make sure you shake them well and move the can back and forth. If I am using them for a background, I don't put any borders on the cake until I am finished with the spray. Makes a neater and cleaner look.

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #19 of 22

I use them alot for background affects. My Backyardigan cake and my sports ball cake are two that I have in my photos that I used it with. I like the way the look. Make sure you shake them well and move the can back and forth. If I am using them for a background, I don't put any borders on the cake until I am finished with the spray. Makes a neater and cleaner look.

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 7:42am
post #20 of 22

I TO HAVE USED THESE AND UNLIKE OTHERS I LOVE THEM. I HAVE SEVERAL CAKES ON HERE THAT I HAVE USED THEM ON...BUT I HAVE NOTHING TO COMPARE THEM TOO AS I HAVE NEVER USED A REAL AIRBRUSH.

clarasmommy Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #21 of 22

How long does a can last? I would be using it mostly for backgrounds.

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #22 of 22

I HAVE USED 1 CAN SPARINGLY ON ABOUT 4 CAKES AND SEVERAL BATCHES OF CUPCAKES...BUT I ALWAYS USE IT FOR ACCENT COLOR AND NEVER TO COMPLETELY EVENLY COLOR A CAKE.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%