I Just Wanna Go To Bed, And I Am!

Decorating By MrsSid Updated 26 Jul 2008 , 3:36am by mamajan61

MrsSid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSid Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 11

I think I just want to ramble so if anyone is awake, you're my audience.
I'm having one of those moments that makes me ask myself, "why do you think you can do this?" icon_cry.gif
I've baked two layers this evening and BOTH of them have had chunks stay in the pan as I tried to release! Arrrgh!!! I'm physically so tired. As most of us do, I work a full time job and do cakes on the side. I drive an hour back and forth to work so by the time I get home my purse is still on my arm as I'm warming the oven and taking eggs out of the fridge. I eat (if I get to eat) standing up or either running back and forth from mixer to pan.
One of the cakes due this weekend is a fondant cake so I have to have perfect layers or the fondant will show the "missing gaps". So, there's another 14 inch I have to rebake. My 13inch stuck too but that one is buttercream. On top of that my hubby who is my sampler asks, "did you add any extra flavorings to this cake?"!!!!! WHAT?!?!?! icon_mad.gif I used the same recipe I always use!!!! The one he USED to compliment me on! So that was all I needed was to hear that not only do I have to rebake but gosh darn it, I need to add MORE FLAVORING?!?!?! I'm tired! I want to go to bed!
With all my rushing to come home and start baking, I've actually made no progress because both layers stuck to the stinkin pans! icon_cry.gif
I just dont have it in me tonight to stay up. I guess Thursday and Friday night will be an all nighter for me...thank you for reading.

10 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:41am
post #2 of 11

Aw, *Pats on back icon_smile.gif , I don't have full time job except for being Mummy! I even feel rushed as I can't make the cakes in the day I wait till my DD is in bed then I'm flapping around trying get it done before she wakes for a bottle! Cake making is so fun but hard to enjoy if it's all gotta be done double quick time and under pressure or eye lids drooping at 3am! I don't know how you guys do it with the constant pressure of having to turn out a 'masterpiece' for a paying customer. I get in a flap if I can't do a nice one just for fun! icon_razz.gif
Chin up, grab a strong coffee, make a fab cake, sending you 'good cake vibes' icon_biggrin.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:01am
post #3 of 11

MrsS...I know the feeling! I've learned that I make mistakes when I'm very tired or in a hurry. I use Baker's Joy spray and also put parchment in the bottom of my pan and a light spray on top of the paper. It's worth the extra hassel. Get some rest and you'll be on top of your game tomorrow! thumbs_up.gif

MrsSid Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, today is a new day. I will survive...I think...yes, yes I will!
You guys are a great support group, THANKS!

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 11

A good night's sleep always helps -- plus line your pans with parchment paper, you'll never have a cake stick again. It's worth the extra time.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 11

So sorry! That's the one reason I still haven't seriously taken a step to sell cakes yet (that plus I don't feel I'm that good yet thumbs_up.gif ). Anyway, for a homemade cake release that never fails: mix up equal parts shortening, flour and veg. oil. Blend and then using a pastry brush, brush liberally (very covered) into the pan and sides.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:42am
post #7 of 11

Sending <<HUGS>> your way. I think we've all been thru that, but I've learned that by using Crisco in my pans I'll never go wrong. I actually did a test to see the difference between using spray or the shortening and sure enough the cake with the sprayed pan stuck and the Crisco did not. I'll never, ever waste my money buying that darn spray.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:59am
post #8 of 11

So sorry you had such a long and bad day Yesterday.

A bit of sleep and a new day seem to have done the trick.

All the best on your cakes this week-end.

good Luck.

MrsSid Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone. I do feel much better now. If I ever learn how to add pictures I'll try to send my two creations for your viewing pleasure! icon_lol.gif
My cakes are not as polished as yours, you guys are GREAT. With more practice and PATIENCE I'll become better!
thumbs_up.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #10 of 11

I use Baker's Joy and always have but occasionally would have cakes stick in the middle. I started using parchment paper in the bottom about a year ago and the bottoms are perfect.

Hang in there! It sounded like you needed a night off. When you start getting overwhelmed, turn down a few cakes and give yourself so you won't burn out.

Here's a {{{{HUG}}}}!

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 3:36am
post #11 of 11

Burn out can happen before you know it....

I'm a fine one to talk... I'm looking at an all nighter right now... I have a wedding cake due tomorrow.... a coconut birthday cake.... 4 dozen petit fours... and I've also got to carry product to a live radio remote for advertising.... Too much to do.... not enough hours... Thank God that my son's girlfriend got all my icing ready....

I keep saying that I'm getting too old to be going this much.... but then, whenever I think about slacking down, I get depressed. I LOVE LOVE LOVE what I do....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%