Am I Being Difficult?

Decorating By cfloyd Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 7:51pm by costumeczar

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:14pm
post #31 of 50

icon_biggrin.gif I am so thankful for all the wonderful donation areas. I really never thought of it. I have been making practice cakes and my husband takes them to work or I give them to family. I know people are watching their wasteline so I try to curb giving to friend. I loved raeding about the "eye candy" also. icon_lol.gif I love Cake central!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #32 of 50

I can see your husband's side - he knows about the office politics, the tone at the office, and the image he wants to portray.

When I was taking Wilton classes, I'd take my leftovers into work the next day (there are only 3 people in my house and we can only eat so much cake). I always came home from work with and empty cake container, so I was pretty sure that the cakes were appreciated. My husband said that they were probably just kissing up to me because I was part of the management team, but when classes (and the cakes) ended I started getting requests to bring in more cakes. I then became the cake lady that brought in everyone's birthday cake. Then I was asked to bring them in for holidays and other special events. That can get old fast if they just assume that you'll make a cake for every occassion that pops up.

ANYWAY . . . your husband may be doing you a favor.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #33 of 50

I know what I said before and this may be a bad idea but.......you could always go over his head and take the cakes to his work yourself. You could be the oh so wonderful wife of the big bad manager. BUT....that might get you into a whole heap of trouble at home so you might want to ask first.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #34 of 50

Every man and every job is different. My husband is more than supportive of my cakes, brings my parents and neighbors over to see what I'm working on, goes to the store to get stuff for me, but he would not have taken a cake in to work. He retired last August so it's not an issue now but he is just not someone that would have taken a cake in.

Whenever they had a potluck, he wouldn't even tell me about it so I could make something for him to take in. I would have LOVED to make something for him, but he just didn't want to do it.

So, it doesn't make him not supportive that he doesn't take it in - he's just not that kind of person.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

I know what I said before and this may be a bad idea but.......you could always go over his head and take the cakes to his work yourself. You could be the oh so wonderful wife of the big bad manager. BUT....that might get you into a whole heap of trouble at home so you might want to ask first.

I agree! You could be the wonderful thoughtful wife...great idea! icon_biggrin.gif

kimmypooh79 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #36 of 50

Thank ya...Thank ya very much icon_cool.gif

cfloyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfloyd Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #37 of 50
Quote:

Kimmypooh, I tried that. He would not go for that either. Funny thing is he does not mind taking my lasagna, cookies, muffins. I think indydebi was right, it is just something about that pink cake box. icon_biggrin.gif I did tell him about all your great alternative places for my cakes and he said he would be happy to take them to the police dept, fire dept (then I miss out on the eye candy though). icon_wink.gif

Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #38 of 50

I don't have any advice....but I have a idea for you for your cakes...

Since you are just giving them away anyways, how about posting on a local classified site that you are a decorator that is practicing and have some nicely decorated, although not perfect cakes to donate to anyone who would enjoy them or need them.

You would be surprised how many young moms are out there that can't afford cakes for thier kids birthdays, or how many guys out there that would love them for their girlfriends/fiance/wives.

Plus you could always give a little business card or even just your email incase someone wants to come back to you, for a paid cake icon_smile.gif

Just a idea...

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #39 of 50

I understand my husband is a diabetic so he cannot eat any of my creations. For the longest time he would not take anything to work. My work on the other hand loves my practice cakes. I have 175 employees about 50 of them in the office. I am lucky if I take a cake in it lasts an hour. But he would never want to take anything in. One day they were doing a pot luck lunch and I told him I had to make a cake and I would just make a bunch of cupcakes. He said fine. Now his employees won't stop bugging him to bring things in. SO he gets kinda tired with it but I do always send in cookies, cake so on for the holidays.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:01pm
post #40 of 50

My DH used to always take my practice cakes/leftovers to his work. They would get eaten in no time flat, but only ONE person on the whole crew (2 shifts) actually said thanks. On top of that I didn't even get orders as a result. I don't mean to sound like a child, but no more cake for those ungrateful pigs.
So, in a way it could be a good thing for him to NOT take them to work.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #41 of 50

I don't seem to experience the issues as cfloyd and quite a few of you. My hubby's really great in this area. icon_smile.gif He takes every opportunity to let people know that not only do I bake cakes from scratch, but that I also make gumpaste flowers, etc. He's one of my biggest supporters, and will bring my cakes wherever... Recently, he was in the bank talking to one of the tellers (who is interested in baking and cake decorating) and she offered him a piece of a cake she made. He took it and said "Mmmm... This is from scratch. This isn't a box cake." She was so impressed that he could tell the difference. And he says he wants to bring my photo album to show her. Now if I could only win the lottery and have a little cake shop! icon_wink.gif ... Bless his heart!

Well, here are a some more places to bring your cakes! icon_razz.gif

Bank
Post Office
Car Dealership (they often have a coffee/cookie area for workers and/or customers)
Neighbor
Someone homebound

kimmypooh79 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfloyd

Quote:

Kimmypooh, I tried that. He would not go for that either. Funny thing is he does not mind taking my lasagna, cookies, muffins. I think indydebi was right, it is just something about that pink cake box. icon_biggrin.gif I did tell him about all your great alternative places for my cakes and he said he would be happy to take them to the police dept, fire dept (then I miss out on the eye candy though). icon_wink.gif

Put them in a white box.....lol

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #43 of 50

I can tell you my husband brings in my cakes, and they are gone in minutes, he is a Fire fighter and I must say a piece of eye candy icon_lol.gif Like someone said everybody loves cakes thumbs_up.gif

lane52403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lane52403 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #44 of 50

Maybe try your local Meals on Wheels, or a company you do business with already. My husband works at a rental store and sometimes his customers will bring in treats for them. They love it.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 12:49pm
post #45 of 50

When I took all my classes I took my cakes to work and they disappeared quickly. I was even asked if any new classes were coming up because they were willing to take up a collection to send me to class again so that they could benefit from the cakes. LOL...

Just this week a vendor brought in some decorated cookie from a high end bakery. They were very disappointing in the way they tasted and were decorated. The buyer whose vendor it was admitted that I had turned her into a cookie snob. Now everyone expects a little something evey couple of weeks. Anytime I want to practice I know that I will not have any trouble getting rid of it. I love it............. icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #46 of 50

When I was practicing on a regular basis, I contacted a local pregnant women's shelter. I offered my services to provide a birthday cake for the women staying there, as long as they gave me 2 weeks' notice. The director really appreciated it, and I loved knowing I was helping others icon_smile.gif.

kimmypooh79 Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #47 of 50

I was thinking of making one and taking it to the Ronald McDonald House.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

LOL - My husband's co-workers give me suggestions for future cake flavors just for a variety since he takes so many in.

I do understand though about hubby and the image thing due to him being a boss. Don't let it bother you.

Hospitals
Fire Departments
Police Stations
911 call centers
Sanitation Departments
Gas Station Attendants
Senior Centers
VA Hospitals

The list could go on and on... any and all of them would love a just because cake.

My father inlaw is a county sherrif and over the years has asked me a few times to make a cake (he often likes to ask me on short notice) and my mother inlaw bless her heart will think to ask me ahead of time for their big public dinner meetings for the Search and Rescue units etc if i can make one- FIL usually likes to have something about the Search and Rescue on the cake so I like to take the emblem and incorporate it on the top (i have one of these cakes in my photos)

he will tell me "this #" of people will be there but may bring family etc so i'll plan for a good amount... ending up with TON of cake leftover.

he always insists on paying me so i never charge him more then supplies and if he tosses in extra thats fine. i'd have done them for free as my contribution to the Search and Rescue here (we live in a moutainous area so this dept is Very important here)

The last few times there was indeed way too much cake left (laughs) so the cake ended up in the office for employees Plus the prisoners got to have some as well.. it made me feel very good knowing even the prisoners were treated icon_smile.gif (but thats just how my FIL is.. he treats the prisoners well even if some don't deserve it)

Lol, indydebi, i felt the same way.. though i feel for the OP i do realy.. partof me just wanted to scream at the guy and say that it wasn't gonna well.. to put it politely here- make him less of a man to bring a cake in now and then.. hell dont put your name on it or something.. what he's doing is by omission- giving the impression of shame.. if he doesn't want to bring itin... designate one or two days a month- he can schedule a lunch out of the office and let his wife bring the cake in if he's that ashamed or embarassed..

to use a quote we hear so often and i hate: "its JUST a cake"

(now please dont shoot me lol) i mean its not gonna lable him pansy man or something.. (fumes...) icon_confused.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #49 of 50

Fighting about this with him every week seems unreasonable. Don't make a big deal about this. His reason is not because your cake is ugly or something like that, but he just feels that he should not be bringing cake to work. He is a guy and his is the boss at work. He feels that it is somewhat unprofessional to be bringing cake, even though people at work will love your cake (I'm sure they do). There are so many people out there who would love to have your cake.. Police Station, Car Repair Shops, Fire Statiions etc.... Your husband's place of work is just not the right place for it. Don't fight him over this. Continuing to fight about this would just mean that you cannot take a NO for an answer.

Let it go. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:51pm
post #50 of 50

I'm not saying that this applies to you, since I have no idea who you are icon_smile.gif , but PLEASE don't fall victim to the "everybody needs to like my cake or I will be insulted and pout" syndrome. If your husband doesn't want to take cakes to work then he doesn't want to take cakes to work. It doesn't mean that he doesn't love you, he just doesn't want to take cakes to work.

I see this a lot on these boards... the "I'm insulted when my family doesn't want to come running to me whenever they need a cake" kind of thing. People waste too much effort in being insulted. Just enjoy decorating and don't worry if in the future, people choose to get a cake somewhere else other than from you. It's not the end of the world, and it will give you time off!

You could also use styrofoam dummies to practice on if you feel bad about throwing the cakes out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%